PF30 BB Lifetime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
I am knew to cycling in the past 2 years, so have never replaced a BB.

As a guide, what sort of mileage can I expect from my PF30 BB, which is mainly used in dry conditions.

I know this is going to be subjective, and varies between bike and rider, but just want to get an idea in when this might need doing.

Have done nearly 2,000 miles for the record.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
There's really no way of guessing - too many variables apart from weather conditions, such as riding style (spin or mash) weight of rider and quality of components fitted. Some have experienced creaking from early on with press fit BB's - but normally this is the interface between the BB and the frame rather than an indicator that the BB is worn.
I would hope to get 3-4000 miles out of a BB....but have had a Hollow tech one that lasted less than 2000 miles. Now I only ride recumbents (apart from my 2 miles into town bike) I expect my BBs to last longer as there is less force exerted and it is higher up making it less exposed to road crud.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
.......why do you ask anyway?
I ask because I am trying to pick up the parts I need, when I see offers, rather than paying top dollar when I need them. Obviously, I don't want to buy them way before I need them.

Sounds like I am fine for another 6-11 months at least then.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Makes sense and yes if it is smooth and silent with no play at present then there's no reason to expect sudden catastrophic failure. One consideration though, is when the time comes can you access the correct tool to remove the old bearings and install the new?
The correct tools are not particularly cheap so if you have to buy them, you would probably save money (in the short term at least) getting it sorted at your local LBS. You can make a press fit tool cheaply enough using threaded rod - but I wouldn't advise whacking the old BB out with a hammer and block of wood, although some people do this.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I agree. It's the proper tools or LBS. No botch jobs on my bikes.

I like to buy the tools wherever possible and teach myself. This job looks straight forward with a bit of patience with the right tools.

Cost could be prohibitive though, I agree.

Top Bottom