Phillips Apollo Identification Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Werbs83517

Hello All, I'm looking to see if anyone can help me with identifying the year of my bike. We picked this up at a auction and want to restore it. Any help on finding out the year or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows the value if I end up insuring would also be a help if it ends up being highly valuable.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

tyred

Legendary Member
Nice relaxed angles, I'd go with late 1930s.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I'd second @tyred's guess in the 1930s - I have a 1937 Raleigh, with similar geometry and the bolt-on seat stays.

Give it a nice thorough but gentle clean and you may be surprised by how nicely the original paintwork and chrome comes up.

As for value I'm afraid I haven't a clue... I guess it'd really come down to finding the right buyer, a collector might be willing to pay a fair few hundred if it's exactly what they've been looking for for ages, someone just wanting an oldy-worldy bike to pootle down to the pub on probably not so much.

Besides (as I'm sure you'll agree if you enjoy restoring and riding the bike) what it's "worth" and what it might sell for/cost to replace can be two quite different things.

OP
OP
W

Werbs83517

Thanks for the help guys, if you would know anyone that could pinpoint an exact year that's really what im after. Please refer anyone that can help to this thread. There is also a serial number on the bottom of the frame. Does anyone know of a website that I could punch that in to identify exactly. Cheers.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Have you tried looking for a date stamped into the rear hub? Sturmey Archer ones always have dates and maybe some others too, worth a look.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Im guessing 1950s if that chain guard is original. The hockey stick ones cane in around the 50s. It also looks very similar to the road aster in this catalog. All the catalogs I've seen before 1955 don't have an Apollo listed.

http://veterancycleclublibrary.org.uk/ncl/pics/Phillips catalogue (V-CC Library).pdf

OP
OP
W

Werbs83517

Thanks Tony for the catalog post, very helpful. It does look a lot like the roadster. What year is that catalog from?

Top Bottom