Phone network coverage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
So I guess this ones well off topic from cycling.

I don't have much to do with mobys. I'm on pay as you go. Its in my pocket, people can get hold of me and I've got it in case of emergency. I only use calls and text and can stretch a fiver over a couple of months.

Nothings changed in the seven years I've had it, stayed with the same network etc.

Just wondering now if one network has better coverage than others? Any sites that have this info?

I've noticed with my current network theres a couple of 'dodgy' signal areas (Flamboro, Sherwood Pines)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think it depends on where you are trying to use it... Hubby who has been in the mobile buiness - (technical side of), isn't here at the mo to ask. But I'm on Orange (guess which company he used to work for), and I've had problems in the Forest of Dean - but phone arial size can make a different too... I had to phone from the top of a climbing frame at one camp-site to make a phone call, whereas he was able to make the call whilst standing on the ground, on the same network.

By the way I'm a completely non technical person so that could all be rubbish.

Mr Pig

We used to be on T-Mobile but we got fed up finding ourselves with zero signal. So I did a search and it turned out that Vodaphone had the best coverage in the country. Most were ok in towns and cites but were patchy in the countryside. Like you, we don't use the phones much but want good coverage so we're happy enough to pay the high prices Vodaphone charge.

Things change though so it would be worth checking Google now. Apple released the iPhone exclusively on O2 for instance and I don't think they would have done that if the coverage was rubbish.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
If you live and work in a town or near a major road you won't have much trouble on any network.

In the sticks, things get a lot more patchy. The trouble is, the networks all say they cover X% (where X is a large value) of the population - which is true but not much help when you're in a field and you want to make a phone call. Like you do.

Well I do anyway.

My work phone is on Vodafone, but there's almost no Vodafone coverage in my village, which is rather unhelpful. The local tractor mechanic carries three phones around, each on a different network, and even he can't always make a call when he wants to.

So take advice from locals if you live in the sticks and you want a mobile that might work occasionally. It's probably no use asking us!

Trillian

apple released the Iphone on O2 because O2 bid for it and were willing to upgrade their network to handle it.

personally O2 or Orange have been found to have best coverage by both my family (a mix of T mobile (now left) Vodaphone (girlfriend, who's now on orange and my dad) brother is on 3 and gets on ok with it, i'm on O2 and have good coverage in the lake district but struggle from time to time in coventry city centre :S girlfriend has good coverage in the peak district on orange
i used to get good coverage in the lakes on orange, but after being told my insurance didn't cover my phone being in my pocket and they refused to pay out but insisted i continued paying my monthly fee and insurance despite not having a phone i could use i started legal proceedings against them and got the contract ended
i'm now black listed from orange for claiming my rights (went through official complaints at orange before proceedings)
also had similar with O2 but i want the reception in the lakes so have little choice

Alcdrew

Uncle Phil said:
If you live and work in a town or near a major road you won't have much trouble on any network.

In the sticks, things get a lot more patchy. The trouble is, the networks all say they cover X% (where X is a large value) of the population - which is true but not much help when you're in a field and you want to make a phone call. Like you do.

Well I do anyway.

My work phone is on Vodafone, but there's almost no Vodafone coverage in my village, which is rather unhelpful. The local tractor mechanic carries three phones around, each on a different network, and even he can't always make a call when he wants to.
So take advice from locals if you live in the sticks and you want a mobile that might work occasionally. It's probably no use asking us!

Has he not heard of roaming? OK costs more to use, but got to be better than having 3 numbers and phones.

I left Vodafone cos I had trouble with there coverage (but that was a few years ago) been with O2 ever since and always had a signal when I've needed one.

simonali

Guru
My in-laws live in the middle of the New Forest and since they've been there I've been with T-Mobile, Orange, Vodafone and 3. Only on the last one have I not had to walk out of the house to get a signal.

As others have said, though, this will be different for different areas.

I live on border between republic and northern ireland. Upstairs in house, I'm with O2 UK, downstairs I get switched to O2 IRL. If i bought my phone in Republic then I wouldn't have to pay roaming charges, but in the north I do, but most of the people I contact have UK numbers so I'd end up paying more for my calls if I used a phone from the South. Most business people have 2 phones around here.. Its a bloody nightmare.. network selection manual. Can get really screwed for call charges if not careful.
Coverage is quite good considering its a rural area but apparently Irish people are near the top as mobile phone users in EU, (relatively young population) so the networks have built out the infrastructure. Not much 3G stuff outside of large towns and cities, but 2G @ 128/56K available in most places.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If you go to the Giant's Causeway ... you suddenly change to being on a Irish network:biggrin:

Alcdrew

summerdays said:
If you go to the Giant's Causeway ... you suddenly change to being on a Irish network:biggrin:

Get a similar thing at Dover, where you end up been French.

dose make you wonder, how French networks can get there signal across the channel yet UK networks can't even cover the whole of the country.

yenrod

Alcdrew said:
Get a similar thing at Dover, where you end up been French.

dose make you wonder, how French networks can get there signal across the channel yet UK networks can't even cover the whole of the country.

Me wonders !

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
My current networks Vodafone. Might just pop into the Orange shop and pick up a Sim on the 'Raccoon' PAYG tariff as a backup for when I'm going to a known blackspot.

Top Bottom