Photo thread of Local history

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

A recent post by Betty Swollocks has given me an idea .

Heres a great opportunity for all you budding photographers to carry a digital camera out on your rides.

How about posting a picture and potted history of any local memorial or Heritage site, such as follies, pillboxes,milestones,mills, bridges, anything with a bit of history or interest .

You'll need to include a piccy of your bike of course to prove that you were there.:smile:

Few rules I suppose might be usefull. Let me know what you think.
One image and maximum description length of say 20 lines ? or preferably a link

ok lets spell it out .

1. Take and post a single picture with at least some part of your bike in the image.
2. Include ,either a short history (20 lines) in your post or.. a link to a potted history of the object.

Most of my picc of historic things are of old castles and towers and the bike is not in them, I found this one with the bike in the shot, Captain Cook's Discovery in Dundee.

snorri

Legendary Member
peanut said:
You'll need to include a piccy of your bike of course to prove that you were there.:smile:
It is easy to include the bike in a pic of a castle or large monument, but some of these items of interest are quite small, and it is necessary to read a small plaque in order to get the story. Would you want a long shot including the bicycle and a close up of the point of interest?
:smile:

OP
OP
P

peanut

snorri said:
It is easy to include the bike in a pic of a castle or large monument, but some of these items of interest are quite small, and it is necessary to read a small plaque in order to get the story. Would you want a long shot including the bicycle and a close up of the point of interest?
:sad:

Well we will need to use a bit of commonsense for the tricky ones. I would suggest a small plaque is going to be too dificult to photo clearly anyway so just get a bit of your saddle or wheel or other bike part into the picture and then google for a internet image of the plaque if its important.

Afterall no one is going to know for sure whose bike it is in the picture anyway but at least a bit of a bike proves a bike has been there.
Otherwise pick one of a thousand other subjects . There is surely enough out there unless you are on the moors ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Dear god, if I start doing that round here, it'll take ages!

Good idea though. I'll have to remember to carry my camera more...

Arch

Married to Night Train
bleakanddivine said:
Arch

You could start with a pic of the Cross Keys pub I spotted in your video. That's historically important because I wasted a lot of my evenings as a stoodent in there in the late 70's.

Jonathan

Jonathan

ok... more important than the largish cross shaped stone building behind it, obviously.:smile:

ooh, actually, that gives me an idea for a location though. It's maybe more local interest than history...

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There's a massive monument on Marston Moor just outside of York. Was really surprised when I went past it.

Top Bottom