Ping Archie Tect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
money/wear/sustainability. I'm thinking lino over ply over resilient layer laid along timber joists. What say you?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Dell,

Is it a fire/acoustic separating floor between occupancies, or just to deaden sound between floors in one ownership? [Sorry, always more questions!]

Proper lino from people like Nairn in Kirkaldy is lovely and joints can be neatly welded.

22mm WBP T+G ply to joists @ 400/450 ccs or 25mm WBP T+G ply to joists @ 600ccs. Office loadings may need closer centres. Need to glue every joint to prevent creak as you can't nail through resilient layer.

Used to use resilient layer of 25mm quilt compressing to 6mm for sound deadening between floors? You could just use 100mm quilt between joists or 15mm BG soundblok board to u/s.... or proper British Gypsum fire/acoustic system for full separating floor between ownerships?

Building Inspector would advise if refurbishment as you don't necessarily have to improve existing floor if it is remaining in same occupation as long as you don't make existing situation worse.

[Edit: didn't notice ref to office at start!]

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it's in the same occupation, so noise is not a biggy. I'll use a layer of GTEC Fire Board below the steel floor beams. It's a new floor - we're filling in a void.

my other thought was bamboo - but I'm not sure if it would stand up to the castors on office chairs. It shrugs off water.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
they've got hardwood on their existing floors (ahem) and it seems ok. I'm sure that lino would be quieter, though.

Forbo-Nairn can laser cut intricate designs into lino so that you can have complex patterns or logos fitted which can look really good [if the corporate colours are tasteful!]

Top Bottom