Ping Chuffy/Devon Folk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Chuffy, a little while back (in the "My Nemesis") thread, you were kind enough to offer some advice about cycling etc in Devon, once I'd found out where we're staying...

I've found out that we're on holiday near Okehampton (a place called Whitton Down, I think). I'm pretty sure we won't be taking any bikes, so a good hire place (that does kid's bikes and adult's bikes) and some advice on easy family friendly trails/routes would be ideal...

(Ummed and ahhed about whether to do this as a PM or not - on balance, I thought it might end up useful to other people heading south in the summer...)

ChrisKH

Guru
Not wishing to hijack John's thread, but if anyone knows of the best source for renting a caravan or cottage in a nice location in Devon or Cornwall this would be appreciated. I have a week free in August and this is a likely option.

Quick reply for you John (sorry, it's been a long day and I need my bed!).
There are two off-road bike routes near to you, the Tarka Trail (runs from Braunton to Meeth but the Braunton - Bideford section has the best surface and the best selection of stopping places. Easy to find on Google, and there are bike hire places in Bideford, Braunton and Barnstaple. There's an article here which may be of use (featuring a picture of Baggy's knees:tongue: ). The other route is the Granite Way, which runs through Okehampton. Bike hire emporia in Okehampton iirc. Both routes are based on old railway tracks, so nice easy gradients. Oh and if you fancy a bit of a walk in spectacular scenery, do visit Lydford Gorge, a few miles SW of Okehampton. It's a river gorge with waterfalls, whirlpools and water carved rock formations. Stunning. :ohmy:
I hope that helps.
Chuffy

Rob S

John the Monkey said:
Chuffy, a little while back (in the "My Nemesis") thread, you were kind enough to offer some advice about cycling etc in Devon, once I'd found out where we're staying...

I've found out that we're on holiday near Okehampton (a place called Whitton Down, I think). I'm pretty sure we won't be taking any bikes, so a good hire place (that does kid's bikes and adult's bikes) and some advice on easy family friendly trails/routes would be ideal...

(Ummed and ahhed about whether to do this as a PM or not - on balance, I thought it might end up useful to other people heading south in the summer...)

I imagine you mean Whiddon Down, several miles to the east of Okehampton. The Granite Way starts in Okehampton (by the old railway staion) and runs for a few miles to the south. There is a bike hire place a hundred yards or so south of the A30/386 junction...it's not very big, details here:

http://www.devoncyclehire.co.uk/

If it was me, and I had a car I'd drive up to Bideford and hire a bike there and do the Tarka Trail either towards Barnstaple or south towards Meeth, far more scope for a day out.

John the Monkey said:
Just realised I'd not thanked anyone for their suggestions here - sorry about that, and thanks very much!
No problem, although I was wondering if you'd seen the replies! I'd second what Rob said, the Tarka is the best day out of the two routes that I mentioned. If you make it to Barnstaple, do head for the Pannier Market and the ice-cream shop on the side opposite the theatre (see Baggy's avatar for details...:wacko:).
Have a good hodilay! :biggrin:

Top Bottom