[PING] Croix de Fer owners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Hi,

Im seriously looking at getting one of these as my "Do it all" bike, I have a few questions for those that have owned one for a while...

1-I have had a very short trial on one and found the brakes to be poor. It was brand new and the chap said they would bed in (BB7s). Is this true?

2-I would be looking at a 54 or 56 frame, I have size 10 feet. Would there be toe overlap, especially with guards fitted?

3-Any problems with the new 10 speed tiagra?

4-Not sure if I will be buying a complete bike, or a frame and fork and getting my own components. Can anyone recommend suitable wheels?

Ta, Paul.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm sure Gaz545 had one and he returned it due to recurring trouble with the brakes.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I love it. I've had no problems with the brakes, except for a squeak which the lbs sorted out for me.

I've got the 2011, so it's got the 9 speed so I can't comment on the 10 speed components on the 2012 model.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'm sure Gaz545 had one and he returned it due to recurring trouble with the brakes.
I had the Day01 not the CDF.
Poor dangerous braking was due to miss match of calliper and rotor. Which Genesis (and madison (distributor)) didn't think was a problem.

Hi,

Im seriously looking at getting one of these as my "Do it all" bike, I have a few questions for those that have owned one for a while...

1-I have had a very short trial on one and found the brakes to be poor. It was brand new and the chap said they would bed in (BB7s). Is this true?

2-I would be looking at a 54 or 56 frame, I have size 10 feet. Would there be toe overlap, especially with guards fitted?

3-Any problems with the new 10 speed tiagra?

4-Not sure if I will be buying a complete bike, or a frame and fork and getting my own components. Can anyone recommend suitable wheels?

Ta, Paul.
1. Probably right, disc brakes take a few uses to get a good feel.
2. Going by other genesis frames, you probably will get some toe overlap.

Fex

I have had a 2011 9 speed Croix de Fer since July and use it for all types of ride. It is nearly standard but has mudguards and a wide range cassette (11 – 34) with a Deore LX changer. I use Gatorskins on the road but with discs, it's a minor job to change these for the Cyclocross Continentals it came with.

I am extremely happy with the bike and find it a delight to ride. The steel frame is very comfortable over all sorts of surfaces and I would highly recommend it to anyone. A few minor points;
  • I am about 1.8m and use a 54cm frame; I sometimes wonder if I should have picked a 56 (as suggested by Twelve50 Bikes in Frodsham from whom I bought it and whom I highly recommend) but I felt a bit stretched when I tried one so picked the smaller. I also have feet of size 10 and there is a little overlap with the mudguards. I have yet to find it a problem.
  • I like the brakes (they are the Shimano discs not the current BB7); they are strong enough for me and I can lock a wheel without any trouble, should I want to do so. What I like most is that they are highly controllable with a lack of grab but with plenty of grip.
  • I would stick with the standard Alex wheels. I had an unfortunate incident involving a hard and immoveable object which I hit head-on at right angles. The forks bent but there was no other damage and the front wheel did not need truing. Good enough for me – shame that there were no forks around for over a month - I had to use the old bike. When I got the new fork I left it uncut and raised the bars about 30mm which has made me happier with the frame.
  • I am a bit unsure about the drops. I do not find them very comfortable,even after raising and, although I do not have small hands, the reach to the brake levers is a stretch. I may change the bars but I not yet sure as to what I might replace them with.
  • It is probably not the fastest bike on the road but I am certainly far from the fastest rider.
All in all I think it deserves about 17 out of 20 although I believe that the price has risen with the spec improvements – I would still pay because I know that I like it but I would not call it cheap.

Top Bottom