Ping: Keith Oates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

Keith,

I've always meant to ask this - I'm curious - how much chinese do you speak? Is it absolutely necessary in order to live in China?

Keith Oates

Janner
I speak sufficiant to go to restaurants, travel on buses and trains and can normally make myself understood at work, but I can't hold conversations. It's not absolutely necessary but it does help a lot and of course it's courteous to the Chinese people to show you've made the effort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Fair enough, cheers!

I learnt some Mandarin at school and was wondering if my limited amount (and a bit of refreshing) might be up to the possibility of going out there. Nothing at all firm but I'm just pondering...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i knew a chinese bloke at uni. he has invaluable in the local chinese takeaway. imagine it on a friday night, four deep at the counter, and he gets our order in (in chinese) from the back and the queue was thus jumped.

alecstilleyedye said:
i knew a chinese bloke at uni. he has invaluable in the local chinese takeaway. imagine it on a friday night, four deep at the counter, and he gets our order in (in chinese) from the back and the queue was thus jumped.

:tongue: Very good!

Now, after not having eaten an 'English' Chinese for yonks, I am overwhelmed by a huge desire for a double chop chicken curry with egg-fried rice, with a chicken noodles starter! ;)

In fact, the last Chinese meal I had, was with the Keith himself in northern Vietnam!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
And another question if i may Mr Keith...
I've went to China once... Shanghai, Xi'an and Beijing... there are squillions of ordinary folk on wrecks of bicycles... how do you thread your way through these, and how do you cope with frantic traffic (making London look a doddle) or do you cycle somewhere where these aren't an issue?

And yet another question! :eek:

Do people leave 'their' bikes unlocked and then just take any old one out of all the millions left around when they're going home?
And how bad is bike theft? Must be a field day for thieves, until they get caught.

Top Bottom