Pinging spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Noticed yesterday, a slight pinging coming from the left front wheel of the Catike. Only when I turn very tightly, or fast, so the wheel is under maximum sideways stress.

Had a look today, and all the spokes seem secure enough. A bit of slow circling showed that it was occurring when the spoke reflector was at the bottom, but taking it off made no difference. It sounds like 3 spokes, a sort of ping-ping-ping on each revolution. On a tight-but-less-tight turn, I was getting just a single ping.

Any ideas? Should I be worried, and can I solve it? Something I think I read ages ago made me wonder if I should lube my nipples, if you'll pardon the expression.

Are you sure it is not the brake disc skimming a bit as the wheel flexes, also give each pair of spokes a squeeze as there may be a couple of extra tight ones, lubing the nipples will not do any harm, those 16" wheels do tend to be tight on the spokes as they are so short so have little flex over the length to take up any deviation on the seating of the nipples on the rim.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
I did wonder about the brake disc, but I think I've heard that sound before, a sort of metallic swish, and this is different - much more distinctly separate pingy noises.

I'll give it a lube next time I take it out, and double check the spokes - although Pete and Spandex gave them a feel too....

Loving it still, BTW.... :biggrin:

Top Bottom