Pins & needles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boxer73

I'm fairly new to road cycling. I only ride about 10 miles at the moment with the intention of going further but I get pins & needles in my hands. Does anyone know the reason for this. Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Bike set up not quite right, putting too much weight through your hands. Have you checked the set up against many of the available online guides.
Gripping the bars too tightly.
Gloves / bartape providing padding in the wrong place.
Not used to the position

I'm fairly new to road cycling. I only ride about 10 miles at the moment with the intention of going further but I get pins & needles in my hands. Does anyone know the reason for this. Thanks
Barring any underlying medical conditions, pins and needles in the hands, on a road bike, is usually due largely to inexperience with the riding technique required for a road bike. If the bike is fitting you well ( a bike fit at a reputable dealer is always adviseable) then the problem is often caused by putting too much weight through the hands, for too long. Learn to move your hands around the bars ( drop bars have more opportunities / available positions than flat bars ) and work on developing your core muscle strength / endurance. Practice makes perfect in the case of riding a bike, over time, you should find the pins and needles problem decreases.

Top Bottom