Planet X A57 wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpembroke

Had these for just over a year but not used them much (bought as a spare pair for cross bike) until recently when I started commuting again. Having put a few miles on them, and having hit the mother of all potholes last night (double puncture - grrrrrrr) I now have rather mixed feelings about them. They are evidently built well and the rim is of high quality (no ding at all from last night's mishap and still perfectly true) but why is the rear hub such a huge pile of ****? As often reported, cassettes chew through the freehub splines to the point you have to chisel the cassette off (well, tap it off from the other side with a piece of dowel and a rubber mallet). On top of that, the bearings are already rough and making a slight grinding noise. It's only done a few hundred miles in dry weather!!!! Also, when I twiddle the axle I can actually see the cassette moving from side to side (yes, it is done up tight). What's that all about? I have tried to take the hub apart to grease it but can't work out how. One side of axle takes a 5mm allen wrench but the other side doesn't - just a round hole. Got as far as taking the bits off one side and trying to tap the axle out - like my old Centaurs - but nothing happened. If anyone knows please tell me. Front hub is fine by the way.

My advice to Planet X is carry on building these wheels but source another hub; this one is awful.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Yes, they are chocolate.

OP
OP
jpembroke

jpembroke

So, even worse in hot weather then?

Got to get some new wheels for the summer bike (my lovely Protons are breaking spokes). Will be getting some from Harry Rowland. Ambrosio Excellight rims, Ambrosio hubs, DT spokes: £240! Bargain.

OP
OP
jpembroke

jpembroke

Lets hope they're better than Planet X ones eh? Having spoke to the Mr Rowland, I trust his judgement. And anyway, these will be Campag compatible, so bigger splines.

Ambrosio Excellight rims are supposed to be fantastic. Looking forward to getting them.

Top Bottom