Planet X EC130 and 303s zip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boroboy

Hi new to road bikes so sorry if this is a daft question. I have been told the best improvement to my bike would be new wheels. I am looking at the zip 303s being a total novice will these fit my bike and how can I check

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

Always a good idea when asking these questions to post a link to the product so we know exactly which item or model you're talking about.

As far as I can see there is only one Zipp 303s wheel or wheels and comes with a fittings for centre lock disc brakes. There doesn't appear to be a rim version. Your EC130 is equipped with rim brakes according to the PX site so are not compatible. Unless of course I have the wrong model (s).

You might like to try different tyres before forking out on expensive wheels.

The weight saving is only about 500g. The fulcrum racing 900’s weight 1900g and the 303’s weigh 1500g. In other words the weight saving is the equivalent of a filled 500ml water bottle roughly.

There are plenty of cheaper alloy wheelsets that weight less than 1900g and would be better value upgrade such as the superstar components one for £300 which weights the same as the 303’s.
https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/pave-ultra-road2-wheelset-uk-made-hubs.htm

boydj

Legendary Member
For a novice, no point. Just ride more.
This is exactly right. You need to get yourself out of novice status by riding more and learning about road riding, what type of riding you like, what you need to improve on and what you need to work on. If you can find a local club or group to go out with that will be a big help.

At this stage of your cycling adventure you should not be spending major amounts until you know what you are doing and you have established cycling as a significant part of your life.

Alex321

Veteran
There are disc versions

Not of the EC130.

DRM

Guru
For a novice, no point. Just ride more.
This in spades, the Planet X EC-130 comes with Fulcrum wheels which are good wheels to start with, a Zipp 303 wheelset is going to set you back as near as the bike cost in the first place, and the Planet X is a fine bike in it’s own right, personally unless you are racing, don’t bother it’s not good value as a beginner cyclist

OP
OP
B

Boroboy

Sorry for my late reply bank holiday weekend.The only reason I am looking at wheels is work offed me the cycle to work scheme. I have had a road bike for about 4 years and to be honest really enjoy it. I was talking to a lad at work about investing in a new bike and I’ll be honest was probs going to spend more on a bike that what would be way to good for me. He competes to a hight level and said that a good set of wheels will more than do me as my bike has ultegra groupset also disk breaks. Thank you all for your reply’s

Top Bottom