Planet X London Road wheels upgrade vs Kinesis Tripster AT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adri_76

Regular
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice regarding my gravel bike upgrade – currently I own a London Road Planet X Rival 22 Hydraulic bike (2017) that served me quite well on my gravel rides.

First idea is a set of Mason X Hunt 4 Season wheels (38c tyres tubeless) and add a 11-36 cassette (actually on 11-32 with 50/34 front) – second would be to swap the London Road kit and group set to an almost-new Kinesis Tripster AT frame-set with the option of converting to tubeless and old pair Dt Swiss wheels (or spending more money and buy the Hunt wheel-set on the top).

My question is, being everything the same, Hunt wheels and so on, would the Kinesis Alu frame (or Forme Calver Alu Frame as alternative) be a 600£ worth upgrade in terms of ride-ability, responsiveness and “pleasure” on mainly gravel/off-road or mix surfaces rides? (As a side note I already own a good enough carbon road bike to go on tarmac)

Thanks for taking your time in replying!

Adri

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
I'm going to add in another option, sorry :rolleyes:.
I've got an early London Road, which I've used for all sorts of purposes, but its on mechanical discs (BB7) and currently my utility bike used for shopping (pub) etc. There's plenty of space for wider tyres, currently running 43mm Rock N Roll tyres, and have had 35mm comfortably under SKS guards. It is a versatile and reasonably light frameset.
Have you considered changing to a sub-compact chainset (48/32, or 46/31)?and an 11-32, or 11-34 cassette? Lower gearing for gravel or load carrying without losing too much off the top end.
Hunts get good reviews, my wife has a pair on her CdF, so they are a good choice if you want to upgrade to tubeless. Alternatively, Malcolm Borg at The Cycle Clinic does good value wheelsets using similar components to Hunt.
Having said all this, N+1 is always tempting :whistle:

Thats why I'm waiting on my Kinesis Tripster AT arriving :blush: Not to replace the London Road, but my Croix de Fer

DRM

Guru
Personally I don't think a new frame will be any better value than fitting the Hunt's & cassette option your thinking of, if the bike works for you, let it evolve into what you really need it to be

OP
OP
A

adri_76

Regular
Thanks for you replies - it looks like that London Road frame vs Tripster AT frame is not such an "upgrade" worth investing 600£ (or more) - I do not have experience between the quality of different aluminium frames. Apart the fact that the Kinesis looks really good! ( not as good as my zesty lime LR though ^__^) -

OP
OP
A

adri_76

Regular
I'm going to add in another option, sorry :rolleyes:.
I've got an early London Road, which I've used for all sorts of purposes, but its on mechanical discs (BB7) and currently my utility bike used for shopping (pub) etc. There's plenty of space for wider tyres, currently running 43mm Rock N Roll tyres, and have had 35mm comfortably under SKS guards. It is a versatile and reasonably light frameset.
Have you considered changing to a sub-compact chainset (48/32, or 46/31)?and an 11-32, or 11-34 cassette? Lower gearing for gravel or load carrying without losing too much off the top end.
Hunts get good reviews, my wife has a pair on her CdF, so they are a good choice if you want to upgrade to tubeless. Alternatively, Malcolm Borg at The Cycle Clinic does good value wheelsets using similar components to Hunt.
Having said all this, N+1 is always tempting :whistle:

Thats why I'm waiting on my Kinesis Tripster AT arriving :blush: Not to replace the London Road, but my Croix de Fer
What would be a good and stiff sub compact chainset that works with rival? Back I have 11-32 already. Many thanks for your insight!

D

Deleted member 23692

The geometry of both frames are virtually identical so I doubt you'll notice £600 of difference so stick the the London Road, and spend the money elsewhere.

as @Scottish Scrutineer suggests.... a subcompact crankset with a bigger cassette will make a noticeable difference (it did on my London Road). As for wheels, give some consideration to a Novatec CXD wheelset.

OP
OP
A

adri_76

Regular
The geometry of both frames are virtually identical so I doubt you'll notice £600 of difference so stick the the London Road, and spend the money elsewhere.

as @Scottish Scrutineer suggests.... a subcompact crankset with a bigger cassette will make a noticeable difference (it did on my London Road). As for wheels, give some consideration to a Novatec CXD wheelset.

Thanks for your input! Any sub-compact crankset that works fine with Sram Rival?

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Thanks for you replies - it looks like that London Road frame vs Tripster AT frame is not such an "upgrade" worth investing 600£ (or more) - I do not have experience between the quality of different aluminium frames. Apart the fact that the Kinesis looks really good! ( not as good as my zesty lime LR though ^__^) -
My LR is the very boring silver with pale blue decals, doesn't draw any attention if locked up at the pub or shops. The Tripster is due today and is the sunburst orange/yellow
What would be a good and stiff sub compact chainset that works with rival? Back I have 11-32 already. Many thanks for your insight!
I'm using Praxis Zyante cranks on one bike, but you get Praxis rings to fit the Rival cranks, or look at Absolute Black oval rings to fit your existing crankset. You just have to lower the front derailleur slightly with the sub compact, then adjust the cable to suit.

Top Bottom