Planet X Tubular Carbon Rims: Noise Amplification?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
please bear with me....

I am running 50mm Tubular Planet X carbon wheels. Stiff as a board, fast and they look cool as ****. I have found them contrary to advice of others to be great wheels, reliable and I am yet to have any punctures or complaints. However I am beginning to get annoyed by a bike rattle noise that I cannot for the life of my trace. I get it on uneven / poor road surfaces. Seems to come from back end of the bike. I have double checked everything is tight as it should be. Caliper, cages, derailleur, cassette, free hub, skewer, valves, etc.

It's doing my head in and is embarrassing when riding in a group as I sound like a knackered old noisy rattler when the bike is the opposite.

Out on a 75 miler at the weekend I had plenty of time to think it through. Could the free hub be the source, but being 'amplified' by the stiff spokes and hollow construction of the tubular section wheels? Effectively they could be amplifying an otherwise normal road / bike noise.

Am I miles off or has anyone else had a similar experience, or an alternative theory? Any experience or thoughts welcome.

Crandoggler

I know you've checked it. But I'd guess it's the valves knocking on the wheels.

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

Yes, one of my thoughts. I got some insulation tape over them to hold them in place. Stationary it seems to do the job. Any other tips for securing them?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I get a rattle from one of my skewers but only on the front tub on a 25TT . It only does it on a club course with top dressed roads come to think of it . The skewer is still tight but the lever must move a little on its hinge . It annoys the hell out of me but i doubt anyone else can hear it .

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

Yes, all seems tight.
Others can hear it and have commented upon it. It's also really annoying.

Weird!

I can't help thinking that the hollow carbon construction acts as an amplifier of an otherwise ordinary rattle. Hmmm...

Crandoggler

My aluminium scirocco 35's do just the same. My valves make a hollow tapping noise when going over rough ground.

Top Bottom