Playing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Fun. Remember fun?

My ten-year-old boy's decided ramps are cool and was laying a bit of plank over a block of wood. I made him a better one, two planks side by side nailed to supports, and told him of the jolly times we had with similar ramps when I were a lad.

Needless to say he failed to understand my dadly bike hopping advice so in frustration I ended up grabbing my eldest son's Hardrock and whizzing down the drive and up into the air myself. Terrific, even managed not to crash this time!

Sometimes one forgets that he best think you can do with a bike is play on it.

longers

Legendary Member
Three lads built a small ramp outside work this afternoon; they'd gone by the time I went over it and didn't fall off.

If there'd been an audience I'd have come a cropper.

Mr Pig said:
Fun. Remember fun?

My ten-year-old boy's decided ramps are cool and was laying a bit of plank over a block of wood. I made him a better one, two planks side by side nailed to supports, and told him of the jolly times we had with similar ramps when I were a lad.

Needless to say he failed to understand my dadly bike hopping advice so in frustration I ended up grabbing my eldest son's Hardrock and whizzing down the drive and up into the air myself. Terrific, even managed not to crash this time!

Sometimes one forgets that he best think you can do with a bike is play on it.

Mr Pig you're so right, I would have done exactly the same. Even now, when I'm steaming down one of the many long descents around here, if the road is clear, I often sweep from one side to the other all the way down like a 10 yr old...the sheer bloody good fun of a bike:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hmmmmm got me thinking....loads of MDF in garage....... ramp...oh yes..

BUT.....I may get in big bother with the other kids parents....;) :tongue:;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
I rushed home last night for our MTB club's 7 pm ride as I havent been out with them for many weeks. My 10 y.o. son has been stuck at home for 5 weeks now with little to do and after supper he came out to help me fold the car seats and so sweetly saw me on my way. All the way down the street I was agonised with feelings of shame that I was off to enjoy myself while he was stuck in the house. Got to a roundabout, turned the car around and went home to collect him and his bike. We managed to keep up with the club ride for the first mile then got dropped and went off to play in the woods, we found a rope swing and played on that then got very muddy. He fell off three times and I got eaten by midges waiting for him to catch up. Total distance was only 2.5 miles but I'd be feeling terrible today if I hadn't done that.

got-to-get-fit

Rigid.....you are a TOP dad. Well done mate.

Sometimes you just have to go with it.....my son was playing on his bouncy castle which was covered in rainwater ....he proceeded to strip off to his kegs and get very wet but was loving it he kept shouting for me to get on and i was saying no, no daddy doesnt want to get wet.......then i thought "why the F dont i want to get wet" stripped off and joined him for the best 1/2 hours fun ive had in many a year.
Sometimes you just have to take a different look at whats important in life.

jiggerypokery

Über Member
Rigid/GTGF - you really just brought a (manly) tear to my eye. I'm stuck working away from home at the moment and miss my son terribly all for the want of a lousy job. It does however gladden me that you're flying the flag for dad's who do that dad thing and do it well.

Grab yourself a choc biscuit boys you deserve it.

Rigid Raider and Got-to-get-fit, top guys:biggrin:

My son is 21 now, but when he was still at junior school, I had a couple of days holiday one January, and we had quite a heavy snowfall. My lad and his friends in the street started having a huge snowball fight + cycle races in the snow/slush. Could I give such an opportunity up....could I heck, absolutely great time.

The following day, I was back at work, and our next door neighbour saw my wife and said, "Do you know, yesterday, when our Chris, your Ben and the other kids were having such fun with that snowball fight, I looked out of my kitchen window and thought, I don't recognise that big lad...and then he turned round, and it was your husband!" Cue my wife slowly shaking her head, rolling her eyes and admitting that I was probably the biggest kid of all of them:biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

And another thing. I put a very short stem on my son's bike to make it fit him better, it was my old bike. Scooting around the garden, turning at the toip of the drive etc, I could manoeuvre the bike far more easily, almost turn it in its own length. I can't do that on my bike which has a long stem. A short stem on my bike would make the bike too short but I'm going to try it, I hate long stems.

Downward

Guru
Ramps were great - Our park had a golf course with raised holes which made excellent ramps.
The one i made at home though outside my parents house at 11 ended up with me toppling off the top into the next door but ones mini - They never did find out where that dent came from !

Dammit that means when my lad is older I will have to get an MTB again and go off roading !

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

This morning Calvin and I went up to a disused quarry and had a good scoot about. Tried to find a short-cut in but ended up and the wrong side of a sixty-foot drop, much muttering from Calvin as we ploughed through the fields back to the road. Found hundreds of tiny frogs, whizzed down a few steep ash tracks, good morning :0)

Top Bottom