please advise short trip starting from Oxford - newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sillysqui

Hi guys, I would like to do a day trip somewhere around Oxford, some nature would be great. I am not very brave in traffic, so something with decent safety for cyclist would be great:-) I have a race bike I got for about 250 quid and I am in reasonable shape but have never cycled more then 20k (in my triathlon recently). I am ready to cycle some more!

I know nothing about Oxford other than Inspector Morse but you could start here http://oxford.cyclestreets.net/

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
South: Kennington - Radley - Abingdon. Perhaps back over Boars Hill.
North: Kidlington - Bletchington - Weston - Bicester. Back via Islip.
East: Stanton St John - Worminghall - Thame. From Thame you can go further east on the Phoenix Trail (traffic free).
You can go most of the way round the ring road (but not the West) on segregated paths.

Basically, once you're out of the ring road all but the A roads are pretty quiet as long as you avoid the busiest times of the day.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi sillysqui
I'm Abingdon based. If you want some genteel group action to find routes and improve your distance then Abingdon Freewheeling can help, there's always Oxford CTC too.
I'm travelling at the moment but will look out some routes on ridewithgps for you that we use.
A nice loop is Botley, Cumnor, Appleton, Fyfield and to the Blue boar at Longworth, maybe a bit more distance but nice all the same!

Top Bottom