Please be careful if you cross at pedestrian crossings...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
the reluctant cyclist said:
Last winter I got knocked off my bike by a car who jumped the red lights. On that occasion the lights had only just changed and he was dashing through at the last minute - no excuse I know.

This morning however I was crossing the hagley road on a pelican crossing - I do this every morning as I also got knocked off turning right on the same road so feel safer using the crossing.

Where about out of interest ? I cross the Hagley Road every day in Pedmore. They regularly come out of the road by the Lytlleton Arms and swing left straight through the red light.

Liking User's idea about bike control, my bike is looking a little tired............

yenrod

ChrisKH said:
Indeed. Cycle defensively and treat every other road user as having had a lobotomy if only to keep yourself safe.

Oh yes Chris - its the golden rule - the 1st thing you learn on the road: NEVER EVER EVER TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED WHAT A ROAD USER IS OR ABOUT TO or what you expect them to do!

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
upsidedown said:
Where about out of interest ? I cross the Hagley Road every day in Pedmore. They regularly come out of the road by the Lytlleton Arms and swing left straight through the red light.

Liking User's idea about bike control, my bike is looking a little tired............

It was the end of the Hagley Road near Birmingham - Edgbaston I think it is classed as. There are two crossings near there.

One is by a row of shops which has a carphone warehouse on it and this one is a bit further up towards Bearwood. Every night I see loads of traffic go through on the red on the one by carphone warehouse and I even comment to people who are about to cross before all the traffic has stopped to be careful.

They think I am a nutter but I have just got into the habit of making sure that all the traffic has stopped now before I leave the kerb!

Top Bottom