Please help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emma Davidson

Just started cycling and have am doing a 200 mile challenge at the end of September.

I am looking for a hybrid bike that will be reasonably lighter than my mountain bike that will give me more speed on the roads, but that can also cope with a low grade of off roading and 'real' countryside.

I most definitely can't afford new. May be able to scrape £100 together (i know, pitiful) Where do i even start looking? Any tips & help will be very gratefully received. I am desperate to get something better and soon as possible.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
1. You might be able to get something around that price range from a cycling charity (or you may not).
2. Gumtree depending on where you live
3. classifieds on here (small chance)

Do you know what the weight of your current MTB is? Depending on what 'real' countryside it is you can probabyl get away with roadbikes with mudguards for that on 25 or 28mm tyres.

OP
OP
E

Emma Davidson

Have had a look on gum tree, but I'm in North Wales, can't see anything anywhere near me unfortunately.

The mountain bike is a poor quality full suspension bike, with poor components and endless gear problems. I thought i upgraded/side stepped slightly by getting a second hand Raleigh mountain bike with decent Shimano gears and just front suspension, but although the gears are a luxury after me other bike it's painfully slow and sluggish.

I just want a bike that is happy to go off road (within reason) that wont kill me to get uphills. With a limited knowledge of bikes and a rubbish funds it's rather a challenge.

I shall go an investigate the classifieds. What are cycling charities?

Thank you so much for your help, sincerely appreciated.

Bikes are ruining cycling for me!

marinyork

There are a few members in Wales, they would be able to advise a lot better than me.

By cycling charities I meant dotted around the country but especially in cities there are usually charities that get hold of old and scrap bikes and do them up and sell them on. I'm not wanting to resurrect a thread there was an argument on recently on this exact topic, but there's a small chance you might find something along those lines there. You can only ask. I've certainly met people who got bikes out of charities (for money £30-150) or bike auctions - university or police ones. I've also met people who didn't have such positive experiences.

What I'm getting at is how off road do you want? I am merely thinking aloud that you might even be all right with something like a second hand tourer run down. I've taken my single speed and race bike for the odd mile on 'off road' sustrans, woods and canals, but not any hardcore trails. It's not going to kill them, but then again it's not suitable for many miles like this.

Bikes should never really ruin the experience. I started off with a 13kg hybrid city bike at university a few years ago and it was very much lighter than my mate's circa 20kg hardtail with 2 inch knobbly tyres on so I see where you're coming from. However you can get much lighter and faster than this, especially going second hand, but stretching that to your budget is difficult.

OP
OP
E

Emma Davidson

My mid week cycling is mostly road/cycle paths and back lanes, but on the weekends i tend to go off road a bit more, again the majority of it is back lanes, but they don't tend to be well kept, some sections of gravel. I also do a bit of climbing, which, on a child free day, i like to cycle to the crag. So although I'm not hitting the trails when i have the time, an i can do what i would class as a preferred cycle (personally obviously) i do like to get off road regularly.

My budget is pants. I am in the process of launching an outdoor clothing brand and literally every penny i have and will have for the foreseeable future is tied up in this.

marinyork

I might just have to bite the bullet and get finance for a new bike.

Fair enough.

From what you say you may want something like a cyclocross bike with sports knobblies on if you want everything on the same bike? Not that I am pretending any great knowledge on them, they cost a lot, would be perfect on finance.

OP
OP
E

Emma Davidson

Afraid not, still going to have to keep some control and go for a bike from the lower end of the budget as i don't want a long term finance commitment right now. It will be my very first treat when the company starts paying off :smile:

Big boy

Sounds like me when i re started cycling.
What tires has your bike got.on at the moment?
Changing to a higher presure thinner tyre may help a bit.
Just a thaught there.
Any bike is only as good as the rider.
When i first started cycling i wanted a lighter bike.
Taller gears thinner tyres more confy saddle etc etc etc.
Now ive built up my fitness a bit i realised it was actually me not the bike.
Incidently i recently picked up a second hand mtb for 20. Quid.
No buckled wheels decent tires and the 21 gears change spot on.
It was from a christian run charity shop.
Second hand is ok but its gotta fit u and if it needs new bits the costs ad up real quick.
I wish u the best of luck.

Randochap

Senior hunter
As others have suggested, sometimes a few modifications to an existing bike--road tyres on a MTB, for instance--can improve your ride. A modest investment can give you a nice hybrid. Note that super high-pressure and very narrow tyres aren't necessary for high performance. Wider tyres can actually improve performance on rough roads and as you still want to get off the pavement a wider tyre is certainly a good idea, though You don't want big knobbies on the road though.

OP
OP
E

Emma Davidson

Don't get me wrong, I don't think a good bike will make me fly without any work.

It's just at the moment, seconded from my local bike shop, i couldn't get a worse bike option for what i do. I think the biggest 'off putter' was finding out that all the long slugs up the hills probably isn't improving my fitness due to what it's doing to my heart rate. The gears are also very temperamental and the bike is a bit too small.

Someone has donated a old Daewoo. It needs a seat, a clean up and some inner tubes, but I'm hoping that there are no problems with it and it's big enough! It hasn't any suspension and should be a bit lighter so fingers crossed it will at least be a suitable to train and do the challenge.

Top Bottom