Plugging breather holes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mearle

Veteran
A steel frameset I have recently aquired have what I've found out to be pairs of "breather holes" in the seat stays and forks. In wet weather these will let water into the frame to the level of the lowest, which is not a good thing.
Any recommendations for plugging these up - they are about 4mm in diameter.
I've thought of small patches of gaffer tape, but there must be a better DIY way ?

ASC1951

Guru
I thought the breather holes were there to allow condensation out i.e. they are a good thing?

OP
OP
M

mearle

Veteran
ASC1951 said:
I thought the breather holes were there to allow condensation out i.e. they are a good thing?

You might have a point, but from what i've read, they are there only to allow hot air to escape during welding, and often sealed afterwards.
I don't think I've owned a frame with the holes left unsealed.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
If you're going to seal the holes up, make sure that the tubes are protected from the inside first. Use Waxoyl or similar to coat the insides of the tubes.

Unless you own a Pashley/ Raleigh shopper or similar cast iron/ mild steel/ carbon steel clunker the likelyhood of your frame suffering any loss of structural integrity through rusting is very remote. Cars die because they use such crap but quality bikes, using steel alloyed with chromium, manganese, molybdenum etc are very resistant to oxidisation. My 531 1930s Hetchins had breather holes, it's still going strong with its new owner.

Mr Pig

So a 520 frame should be fine then? I've often wondered about the breather holes too. I put a lick of oil on mine to help ward off rust. I also put a drop of oil on things like stem bolts for the same reason. Seems to work.

tyred

Legendary Member
All steel frames have them and I have seen ones as old as the 20s and 30s still intact and being used. Ideally, I would like to put a little waxoyl in but the holes in my frames are really only pin holes and too small for that.

Chris James

Über Member
I have had frames with them sealed up and without. No problems with either.

I occasionally spray a bit of WD40 or TF2 up them to slow down any rust.

yenrod

If I would have knew my frame (alu) had them i'd have sealed them up prior to actually riding the dam thing in the wet.

I did notice that it was pouring out, once, by the rear drop-outs upon verticalising the bike to put it away in the shed.

Globalti

Legendary Member
mickle said:
Unless you own a Pashley/ Raleigh shopper or similar cast iron/ mild steel/ carbon steel clunker the likelyhood of your frame suffering any loss of structural integrity through rusting is very remote. Cars die because they use such crap but quality bikes, using steel alloyed with chromium, manganese, molybdenum etc are very resistant to oxidisation. My 531 1930s Hetchins had breather holes, it's still going strong with its new owner.

Spot on. Most people don't even realise they're riding around with water in the frame. By the time it rusts out they'll be six feet under.

yenrod

Then again you could have a good comedy thing whereby you've a pilot and he's turns to his co-pilot and say 'i'm just going to 'verticalise' the aircraft somewhat... :angry:

Top Bottom