Pocket Maintenance Guide?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

Having read a couple of posts yesterday I'm trying to get my act together regarding mini repair kit to take on rides. Now it's all very well taking a spare tube but is there a mini guide I could also take which would help me sort changing it and fixing brakes/gears or the like if I had a problem on route.

PBancroft

How far are you cycling and what are you cycling? I know next to nothing about brakes and gears, and haven't had a problem yet (touch wood). Being able to change a tube or patch it up will probably be the most of your worries.

hackbike 6

I have had six chain breaks in the last two weeks (and yes I do know what the problem is) and have found a chain extractor tool a valuable asset.

Also I always carry an allen key set.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
hackbike 6 said:
I have had six chain breaks in the last two weeks (and yes I do know what the problem is) and have found a chain extractor tool a valuable asset.

Also I always carry an allen key set.

Out of interest - what causes a chain to break 6 times? or even once?

As to the OP I have seen but not used:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pocket-Moun...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221403570&sr=8-4

I have a larger book by her that I quite like but even that one would still be quite big to carry all the time. I think you have to hope that you gradually get to grips with the bits of bike maintenance before it breaks down on you or flutter your eyelids when it does break down. (Possibly more useful to have with you might be a list of the nearest LBS's:biggrin:). My local cycle map has bike shops listed on it.

When my brake broke, I just used a cable tie to keep it out of the way until I could get to a LBS - so that would be one recommendation for your tool kit.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Some puncture repairs kits come with a the two most common sizes of allen keys in them. V brakes are pretty easy to tweak but I find they gradually go over time, so unless you have some mega hills it's not so likely to be an issue on a single journey but one of those things you need to keep an eye on. Talking of chains/gears I'd have thought chain jumping would be an issue too.

Willow said:
Having read a couple of posts yesterday I'm trying to get my act together regarding mini repair kit to take on rides. Now it's all very well taking a spare tube but is there a mini guide I could also take which would help me sort changing it and fixing brakes/gears or the like if I had a problem on route.

Have a look here http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=565

Print out the relevant sections and carry them with you.

Tynan

Veteran
spare tube, p repair kit with levers, couple of cable ties and a decent multitool covers the vast majority of problems for London commuting at least

sometime I carry a chain toll but it's quite heavy relative to need

sometimes a roll of electrical tape

and a dinky pump natch

I find that lot already a fair lump, you have to draw the line somewhere

Top Bottom