Polyphasic Sleeping.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Our cat manages to stay awake for a few minutes. often several times a day.

OP
OP
Nihal

Nihal

Veteran
I've no idea whether moving away from monophasic to perhaps 3/4.5 hr sleeps or the more extreme ones would suit you though. But good luck if you want to try it.

Its more of a test.......i've been trying for the past two day,and ive managed to cut it down from 7-8hrs to 5hrs exact.I'm beginning phase two-that would be four 30min naps today.I've basically divide the dayt into 4 phases......and a nap in each.If this does not work,i guess i'll try the 1.5hrs core sleep with 3X20min naps............and given my current situation.....i'll tell you,i wouldnt mind being a "freak".:smile:
Thanks for the advice:thumbsup:

Melvil

I too think that the 8 hours sleep that gets promoted as the gold standard today, is historically quite abherrant, firstly because there is much evidence in Hunter Gatherer societies that most if not all members would have very short sleeping and waking cycles, like this tribe in Brazil that exists today (I also believe that if one grows up with this sleeping pattern the brain will optimise its functionality to it and hence it will feel utterly 'normal').

Even in medieval societies the norm appeared to be segmented sleep which is a pattern I find very familiar as I often get up in the night and quietly read or sit and think (by far my most profitable i.e. creative and interesting thoughts occur during this time), so my opinion is, as a lot of you say, to listen to your body and go with that whatever it is.

paddy01

My 'normal' pattern these days is around 6 hours (midnight to 06:00), that I think is a result of growing older and primarily having a 9 month old. In my 20's I'd regularly manage on 4 hours sleep or less and even today can survive on that for a few days.

However my sleep goes to hell during bouts of depression, i.e. the anxiety, thought patterns, and at times outright panic associated with them prevent sleep, the best I can hope for is simply laying in bed with my eyes shut so my body physically rests (and so I don't freak out my wife by wandering off in a highly agitated state in the middle of the night). The worst I think was 5 days with a combined total of 6 hours sleep, and that was medically induced. By the end I was hallucinating.

I have tried ployphasic sleeping but only in the 4,4,4 yacht crew example given and then only for single overnight passages. To be honest for a single night I found it easier just to stay up all night as long as I knew there was down time available the following day.

Top Bottom