poor brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sstephenjo

i have a 40 year old Raleigh Hercules folding bike with original brake blocks fitted but the brakes are rubbish. have checked all the usual stuff all seems ok , but i notice the brake blocks are made up from 2 different materials one of which looks like a leather insert i have roughed up the material but has made no difference can anyone explain this. Thanks.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm guessing you have steel wheels? The leather insert is supposed to make braking in the rain (marginally) less ineffective.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You're on a hiding to nothing with chrome rims but the above is worth a try.
Changing to 20" alloy rims will make a difference but if the brakes are side pulls it might not be worth the time effort and money. These bikes are really for nurse Gladys Emmanuel going down the shops for a tin of cat food, baked beans and a loaf of bread.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Aye, steel rims are your problem.

Changing from chrome steel and similar leather-like pads as you describe to alloy rims and rubber blocks improve braking markedly. They're now "OK" when before they were borderline unfint for purpose in the dry and basically non-existant in the wet.

I re-laced the existing hubs with new (not new) rims, which you may or may be arsed to do...

I've done a conversion to alloy wheels plus V brakes - very good brakes, but some welding required.

Another one just done the alloy rim conversion, with original front brake and a rear coaster - again very good brakes.

Two of my collection are as original. Both are fun to ride, but you adjust your speed accordingly, knowing you have to book an appointment with the brakes.

I don't think nurse Gladys Emmanuel or anyone else is gonna set any new speed records on these bikes, just enjoy them for what they are :okay:

OP
OP
S

sstephenjo

just a update on brakes, replaced old ones with new rubber ones , excellent brakes now .

Top Bottom