Possible inadvertent solution to reduce my lower back pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
After an over-adventurous bum-in-the-air experience at Herne Hill the other Sunday (Great time @stevevw ) I suffered a few days of lower back pain. Once I got out on my own bike again, I decided to experiment with seeing if I could reduce the chance of it occurring again. (I normal start suffering twinges after 30 miles or so, even though I'm confident I've set the bike up correctly.) On a whim, I got out of the saddle for anything other than a slight rise. I've just had two consecutive days of longish rides and I've taken to it like the proverbial duck - with no pain. :thumbsup: I may not ever be able to emulate the likes of Contador, but out of the saddle seems to work for me as it does for him.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I was carrying 5+ stone of blubber, I couldn't pedal standing up for long before getting knackered. I am now nearly 5 stone lighter and finding standing a lot easier - it helps ease my back too.

I just need to start doing some stretching and core exercises and I think my back pain should become a thing of the past.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I don't get back pain, but on the really long rides I've noticed getting out of the saddle and stretching my back muscles a bit (with a bit of leaning backwards) helps ease any discomfort. I'm happy to hear it works for you, @Jon George :smile:.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I have arthritis in my upper and lower spine. I do try to stand up as often as I can, but the arthritis in my knees doesn't like it much on hills!!
(I know, I'm falling to bits!)
I have stretching exercises from the physio, and if on a longer ride (or whenever I feel 'tight') I do these.
I must admit it looks pretty weird, but it works!

Top Bottom