Possible to change any 10 speed cassette to any other?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The new bike I'm looking to buy has a 12-28 ten speed rear cassette. Now, I have got really attached to my current 11-32 cassette. Both bikes will have a compact 50/34 up front.

Am I right in assuming that there shouldn't be any problem at all changing the 12-28 to a 11-32 (I understand I may have to get a longer chain too)?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Depends on the rear mech capacity. If Shimano look for the model here.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Depends on the rear mech, the Boardman CX has a long reach.

If I recall you will not be able to go higher than a 28 with Shimano road mechs

OP
OP
CopperCyclist

CopperCyclist

Veteran
Guess I may have to get used to doing a little more grinding then! I like spinning high and do occassionally use gear 1 and 2 on the Boardman when climbing.

It'll hopefully be the Ultegra Di2 group set that I'll be looking to change to a 11-32 on, but it may end up being a moot point if it's just not possible. I've never tried a 12-28, might find it to be fine, was just exploring my options - changing the group set won't be one of them!

Thanks for the advice all!

OP
OP
CopperCyclist

CopperCyclist

Veteran
Actually, when I actually research it further, I see the second largest cog on the 11-32 is a 28T one anyway. I could easily cope without my bottom gear, so don't think I'll have an issue anyway :smile:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Honestly the 28 is nicer not so gappy,..

PpPete

Legendary Member
12-30 is good for overall range without huge gaps - but no one except Harris in the USA sells one (very expensively). I made my own 9 speed one by butchering other cassettes. That was until I got a Campag 10s bike with a 13-29 cassette - bliss!

Top Bottom