post winter check up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

well, a brief one anyway, should have only consisted of pumping up the tyres.

I noticed that the spring on the QR end of the front skewer had started to unravel itself and had about half an inch sticking out. I'm thinking that the spring is only to assist the two ends separating when loosening the skewer, is this correct? However - I decided to cannibalise the mountain bike as that had a new skewer not long ago - are the skewers the same size for mountain bike (26") and hybrid (700c) wheels? It seems to fit ok, but should I buy a specific one for the hybrid. I realise I could have just changed the spring but thought I may aswell put a shiney new QR on aswell.

When I refitted the wheel, I noticed it wasn't spinning very well, even worse when the skewer was done up. I took it off and spun it whilst holding the nuts, I could feel it was rough and could hear it too - I'm guessing something to do with the bearings. Now the wheels need replacing when funds allow due to flat spots etc, but is it worth running them into the ground or is it a cheap fix to mend the bearings for now? If I run them into the ground, would it be something that could throw me off when they fail or will they just grind to a halt?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If you have grease to hand, cleaning & re-greasing your wheel hubs takes 30mins tops, and is strangely satisfying. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes. Do be aware tho' that if it's seriously ropey, you may find you need new bearings as well.

rh100 said:
When I refitted the wheel, I noticed it wasn't spinning very well, even worse when the skewer was done up. I took it off and spun it whilst holding the nuts, I could feel it was rough and could hear it too - I'm guessing something to do with the bearings. Now the wheels need replacing when funds allow due to flat spots etc, but is it worth running them into the ground or is it a cheap fix to mend the bearings for now? If I run them into the ground, would it be something that could throw me off when they fail or will they just grind to a halt?

Sounds like the cones are too tight - loosen them by a quarter turn. If you loosen them too much you develop play in the wheel.

However the QR if set firmly will take some of the play away -so the trick is to tighten the cones so as to permit a small amount of play when the wheel is off the bike and that will disappear once the QR is engaged. It's a bit trial and error but you should be able to get it set up spot on - something that the LBS probably don't have time to do.

I'd also do what Swee'pea says and re-grease the hubs -especially if the seals are not 100%

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

thanks for that sp and ap

will pop into Halfords tonight (only option for me as a local store mid week) and get some grease. Daft question, any particular type of grease required or is it all the same?

thanks

C

chillyuk

rh100 said:
thanks for that sp and ap

will pop into Halfords tonight (only option for me as a local store mid week) and get some grease. Daft question, any particular type of grease required or is it all the same?

thanks

You can pay loads of money for fancy grease in a little tube, or leave the bicycle department and from the car section buy a big tin of lithium grease for a similar price. I get mine even cheaper from an agricultural merchants. If it's good enough for a very expensive combine harvester it will do my hub bearings!

Top Bottom