Power2Max Power Meter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I have been using a Cycleops powertap for power for about the last 6months, but due to severe problems with the wheel repeatedly going out of true, I was in the market for a different solution. I initially looked at SRM, Quarq and the new Rotor meters, but I came across a review of a new maker called power2max. It was founded a few years ago by ex SRM guys and is aimed squarely at the enthusiast market. Pricing in sits between powertaps and Quarq around the sub €1000 mark (this doesn't include the chain rings).
I ordered the system with Rotor 3D cranks as they come with a 24mm axel, which fits directly into my MOST crossover BB without any modifications, simply a matter of switching systems over. The ordering process was a little odd as you order the system online via their website then they email you an invoice with details for a bank transfer. Not a problem, I just nipped down the local bank branch and it was all done very quickly. They are very helpful and quick with answering questions and the transaction has been very smooth.
One criticism of the P2M system has been around drift caused by temp changes. The system zero's when freewheeling automatically and has recently been updated with a temp sensor to provide the correct calibration for temp changes, and will auto adjust during a ride independent of the auto zero function. The recent update also has provided the user with a left/right power balance. The meter only has sensors on the spider, but uses an algorithm to calculate which pedal is providing power at the correct time. It also doesn't use a magnet to calculate cadence, so (according to p2m) doesn't need slope adjustment when changing rings, specifically it doesn't suffer from over reading when using elliptical rings.

I've done a few rides on it now and it seems very robust and solid. Shifting on the Aero q-rings is just slick and the cranks stiff and responsive. So far I'm very happy with it. Here is a ride I did this morning:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/260672164

And a few pictures (yes I know the bike is not pristine and needs a wash down)

p2m1.jpg

p2m2.jpg

p2m3.jpg

I've still got the powertap, and am using it for turbo workouts (with a different bike) as when it's clamped it doesn't suffer the truing problems, not sure if I will sell it yet.

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
DC Rainmaker has reviewed the P2M and gave it 9/10 (same score as the Quarq)

Here:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/power2max-power-meter-in-depth-review.html

Top Bottom