Predictive text

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I am not sure if it is called that, but it is the nearest I can think of.

What I am trying to find is a way of telling the computer that when I type "tel" for instance, I want the computer to respond with "telephone". This is so that when there are lots of long words in a document, I do not need to type things like "synchronise" etc out in full.

I am sure I used to be able to do this many moons ago. I thought you could do it for whole paragraphs, but cannot find what that is called either.

Can anyone help please? I realise there is "find and replace" but that seems to require being implemented for each document.

Speicher said:
I am not sure if it is called that, but it is the nearest I can think of.

What I am trying to find is a way of telling the computer that when I type "tel" for instance, I want the computer to respond with "telephone". This is so that when there are lots of long words in a document, I do not need to type things like "synchronise" etc out in full.

I am sure I used to be able to do this many moons ago. I thought you could do it for whole paragraphs, but cannot find what that is called either.

Can anyone help please? I realise there is "find and replace" but that seems to require being implemented for each document.

You could try 'Tools / AutoCorrect' if you're using MS word.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
HLaB said:
You could try 'Tools / AutoCorrect' if you're using MS word.

Yes, I tried that, but it would not let me add any new words to the list of words that it has been set to correct, ie adn gets changed to and etc.
The OK box is feint, and I cannot get it to add "my" words.

Radius

SHREDDER
OpenOffice (good free substitue for Word / Office) does this, you can set the min. number of characters for it to remember, then it recognises the word and you just press enter to accept it or keep typing...

Speicher said:
Yes, I tried that, but it would not let me add any new words to the list of words that it has been set to correct, ie adn gets changed to and etc.
The OK box is feint, and I cannot get it to add "my" words.
Oh well, it must be a setting in a newer version, or maybe its something to do with the template; my old version lets me: 'Replace - x With - xyz' and I can Add that.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Thank you HlaB, I will try that again. There is also autotext to try, which is similar.

I have also now found that I might have inadvertantly disabled the autocorrect feature, something about a check box in the autocorrect dialogue box. (This was in a very handy, easy to read manual from umm fifteen years ago, but it still seems relevant, the basics do not seem to have changed that much).

BTW did you say recently on another thread that you were starting a new job or was that Tetedlc?

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
HLaB said:
Oh well, it must be a setting in a newer version, or maybe its something to do with the template; my old version lets me: 'Replace - x With - xyz' and I can Add that.

I tried again today, and it worked. ;) I presume you can also do standard paragraphs this way, and call it Intro, or Closing Para or whatever. I thought those sorts of paragraphs would be called something different.
Any way it worked, thank you for reassuring me that it does exist. :smile:

Now I need to try and remove the predictive text from my mobile phone, it appears that I have a totally different choice of words to put in my msgs nt wt sm do.

I msut amidt I dnid't konw scuh a fcilatiy eixetsd.

Speicher said:
I tried again today, and it worked. :evil: I presume you can also do standard paragraphs this way, and call it Intro, or Closing Para or whatever. I thought those sorts of paragraphs would be called something different.
Any way it worked, thank you for reassuring me that it does exist. B)

Now I need to try and remove the predictive text from my mobile phone, it appears that I have a totally different choice of words to put in my msgs nt wt sm do.

No problem :smile:

With a nokia phone its quite easy you just press the # key quickly and the pencil at the top of the screen next to the abc changes from underlined to not when the predictive text is off. Alternatively holding the # key longer give yo another option. Unfortunately I've only owned nokia phones.

Top Bottom