Problem solved!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sddg7tfl

I tend to go out on the mtb at weekends getting it completely covered in muck and ending
up too knackered to clean it once i get home. Come monday i decide not to ride the mtb to work
in case my clothes get messed up!
I then look at the road bike and think "that's too expensive to use as a work hack".

To solve the problem i've just bought myself a 10.5kg fixie ... its one of those "No-logo" machines
(but not in clown colours).
I'm not too bothered about the build quality as i can repair/upgrade as i go along, although i'd
like to change out the stock straight bars to a bullbar with brakes "on the tips".

Like the ones found on this heavier Viking fixie:
185_VIKING_TRACK_MASTER.jpg

Any ideas where i should look for these unusual brake levers?

Loads on ebay, or you can get some Dia Compe levers from Wiggle, like I just have. They're sometimes listed as 'TT brake levers' or 'bar end brake levers'

D

Deleted member 20519

Off topic but let me know how you get on with the bike. I've been tempted to buy a fixed gear for a while now and these bikes are reasonably priced. I'd be worried that if they can't tension the chain properly in their advert, what else might not be set up correctly.

276e7f1f87c2669359010683c1b7cc52-1300x1300.jpg

OP
OP
sddg7tfl

sddg7tfl

Off topic but let me know how you get on with the bike. I've been tempted to buy a fixed gear for a while now and these bikes are reasonably priced. I'd be worried that if they can't tension the chain properly in their advert, what else might not be set up correctly.

276e7f1f87c2669359010683c1b7cc52-1300x1300.jpg

All bikes that "arrive in a box" require fettling ... i built a Trek Madone up out of a box which had loose drivetrain components!

(B.T.W your photo just happens to be in the exact colour scheme i've ordered).

D

Deleted member 20519

All bikes that "arrive in a box" require fettling ... i built a Trek Madone up out of a box which had loose drivetrain components!

(B.T.W your photo just happens to be in the exact colour scheme i've ordered).

I looked through the colours and found that the black and white was my favourite colour scheme - where did you order yours from?

Manonabike

Über Member
When I built my SS about three years ago I got some Charge Slice Bullhorne bars for a very reasonable price, half the price of the Nitto bars I had decided for before.

The breaks are creek TT, also quite reasonably priced at Ribbles if my memory serves me well ^_^

My built was on an old but resprayed Reynolds 351 23" frame. Just over 9k and so simple to maintain / clean. Love it.

OP
OP
sddg7tfl

sddg7tfl

This one seems nice

http://www.fixedgearfrenzy.com/comp...lack-single-speed-fixed-gear-track-fixie-bike

Not a terrible price either, bit heavy though - 1.5kg's heavier than my Triban 3. Let me know how you get on with it!

I don't think people worry so much about weights on a fixie ... its not as if you're going to hit every hill in the perfect gear ratio to maximize climb rate.
As it stands the fixie i ordered is 3kg lighter than the roadbike i use through the winter (steel forked,
steel wheeled indestructible tank thing).

OP
OP
sddg7tfl

sddg7tfl

When I built my SS about three years ago I got some Charge Slice Bullhorne bars for a very reasonable price, half the price of the Nitto bars I had decided for before.

The breaks are creek TT, also quite reasonably priced at Ribbles if my memory serves me well ^_^

My built was on an old but resprayed Reynolds 351 23" frame. Just over 9k and so simple to maintain / clean. Love it.

Thanks for the tips ... will look at ribbles website.

Top Bottom