Product Research- New Bicycle Lock Design

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
The most important things are:

Strength
Low weight
Compact and easy to carry in a cycle pocket
Cost

...the ideas about gps tracking and alerts etc are interesting, if my mobile went off when the theif was trying to remove the lock I would have some chance of getting back to the bike and beating the shoot out of him/her preventing the theft.

The problem with most combination chain locks is that they are not long enough to go through both wheels and the frame and the saddle. I wouldnt be to bothered about this on a road race bike as I wont get off and leave the bike ever...but on a touring bike I'd like a very strong long wire long enough to go through both wheels etc. But it has to be very lightweight and very strong....suspect the material for this may be found on Jupiters moons maybe??

Hawk

Veteran
The main way of breaking top quality D-locks is by prying them apart with a car jack or similar, I am told. Could the D-lock be made of something slightly more flexible and elastic, so that when exceptional force is applied in this manner, it bends outwards but comes nowhere near breaking?

Alternatively, would it be possible to create a lock in such a shape that attempting to put a car jack or similar in it to pry it open would just cause it to slip out of the lock? Something like a figure of 8 shape where there is a gap in the two loops.and thus when a large enough force is applied, the car jack will twist and thus slip straight through the loop? Or some sort of tetrahedral arrangement......

OP
OP
colins288

colins288

Hey, thanks for the feedback.
@BigonaBianchi: Titanium would be a really lightweight/strong material. But really expensive, so I'm looking for alternatives. And I've always liked the idea of catching the thief in the act.

@User: I see what you mean. I'm considering some sort of solid-state electronics for the inside of the lock that can receive a signal and would be powered by the mobile device once connected, the lock itself wouldn't require it's own stored charge in order to function. What do you think?

@Hawk: I'm working on some form development and concepts so this is quite helpful.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
one of the often used appoaches to attack a lock is to hit it with a hammer or similar blunt object, sudden shocks are known to damage solid state electronics how do you intend to address this problem?
Just curious.

are you already aware that gps trackers for cycles are already available and on the market, they send a text when the motion detector is triggered with a link to google maps showing the location of the bike, you set it when you park your bike by sending the number a text, works really well

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I've done the questionnaire, and here's some extra thoughts:

one of the often used appoaches to attack a lock is to hit it with a hammer or similar blunt object, sudden shocks are known to damage solid state electronics how do you intend to address this problem?
Just curious.

An alloy of Vibranium, American steel and Adamantium can cope with this exact kind of attack. I saw this in a TV show about an American guy. These are currently very much aspirational materials, but a good benchmark to aim for.

I like Hawk's idea of an elastic material or configuration to counter being pulled apart by a car jack, and could give some flexibility when locking to larger or odd shaped objekts, although at the extremes of it's elasticity it would still be vulnerable to attack.

As most bike thieves are opportunists I think that appearances of security can be a significant deterent. Given enough time, space and the right tools I would imagine that all locks can be broken. However if a thief is detered from even trying that's another day that my bike stays mine, and hopefully means that my pride and joy isn't vandalised during or after a failed theft (which has happened to me before). I would not buy a lock unless in my mind it looks secure, regardless of whatever anti-theft test standards it has passed, although this is crucial once I feel that a lock looks robust enough for me.

Equally a lock has to be convienient enough to use when you're in a rush. Personnally I don't mind spending a few minutes securing my bike even for short periods, but I see plenty of bikes propped outside shops unlocked or with locks still in their mounting bracket.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
For those of us with Insurance - would you consider going to the Insurers with this? Just a thought, because I had to buy my lock from a list of their approved locking mechanisms in order to be covered. Insurance aside, the GPS and tamper-alert would be most attractive for me. I would fantasize about catching the person in the act, tying them to the back of my e-bike and dragging them over cobbles.

Mr Haematocrit

I don't personally see the point of a GPS enabled lock or security, I know where my lock is and if a thief breaks it, im more interested to know where my bike is. I have GPS trackers in all my bikes which is cost effective as you do not require a contract with a vendor, it works from a pay as you go mobile sim card which when texted sends you back a URL of a google maps image showing the location of the bike. The tracker fits into the frame. Im yet to see anything which improves on this.

Hawk

Veteran
I don't personally see the point of a GPS enabled lock or security, I know where my lock is and if a thief breaks it, im more interested to know where my bike is. I have GPS trackers in all my bikes which is cost effective as you do not require a contract with a vendor, it works from a pay as you go mobile sim card which when texted sends you back a URL of a google maps image showing the location of the bike. The tracker fits into the frame. Im yet to see anything which improves on this.

How expensive is that, and how reliable?

Hawk

Veteran
I presume it doesn't work if you take it indoors though? Sounds a definite good investment on a £1,500 road bike but I wont need one; sounds really interesting though!

Manonabike

Über Member
The main way of breaking top quality D-locks is by prying them apart with a car jack or similar, I am told. Could the D-lock be made of something slightly more flexible and elastic, so that when exceptional force is applied in this manner, it bends outwards but comes nowhere near breaking?

Alternatively, would it be possible to create a lock in such a shape that attempting to put a car jack or similar in it to pry it open would just cause it to slip out of the lock? Something like a figure of 8 shape where there is a gap in the two loops.and thus when a large enough force is applied, the car jack will twist and thus slip straight through the loop? Or some sort of tetrahedral arrangement......

It does not apply for small and properly used D-locks

If you use it in such a way that you don't leave room for a mini jack then it is impossible to pry it open.

Mr Haematocrit

you would be correct, it does not work when indoors which is a limitation of the device, its most certainly not perfect but anything which increases the chance of getting your bike back is worth considering imho

Top Bottom