Program Your New Tesla to Break the Law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Digital Rights Managements achieves just that, but then with software on your device. But the general idea is the same, if you buy an second hand phone you don't get a netflix subscription with it for example. So if Tesla move to this model they see your options just like an Netflix subscription.
It’s not a mobile phone though is it, when a car is bought new any extras paid for stay with it, therefore making it more attractive to customers when it appears on the second hand market, if Tesla think that ripping people off is a good business model they’re deluded

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
They will do what they feel they can get away with . Possibly other manufacturers will follow suit. 2nd hand prices ?

DRM

Guru
They will do what they feel they can get away with . Possibly other manufacturers will follow suit. 2nd hand prices ?
I feel once people are aware of the second hand Tesla con, prospective customers will insist it's left in current spec, or demand a whopping discount, I would, if they umm & ahh about it, it can stay on the forecourt.

It’s not a mobile phone though is it, when a car is bought new any extras paid for stay with it, therefore making it more attractive to customers when it appears on the second hand market, if Tesla think that ripping people off is a good business model they’re deluded
No don't get me wrong i agree with you that is not a good bussiness model, i do think they will move that direction because slightly longer term it's not only a question of choice but they will have too considering the enormous debts they have.
So that will make Tesla a bad choice second hand, but again Apple does the same think over and over and also gets away with it.

DRM

Guru
No don't get me wrong i agree with you that is not a good bussiness model, i do think they will move that direction because slightly longer term it's not only a question of choice but they will have too considering the enormous debts they have.
So that will make Tesla a bad choice second hand, but again Apple does the same think over and over and also gets away with it.
But Apple aren’t like a Tesla, in as much as if you buy a new iPad/iPhone you first place your old phone near to your new one which is setup from the old one in order to send all the data and apps across to the new item, then you sign out of your Apple ID account and wipe the the old iPhone/iPad in order to sell or pass it on so there’s no chance of the new owner using your credentials on the old item, you don’t go stripping everything off a car before you sell it as you make it worthless.

But Apple aren’t like a Tesla, in as much as if you buy a new iPad/iPhone you first place your old phone near to your new one which is setup from the old one in order to send all the data and apps across to the new item, then you sign out of your Apple ID account and wipe the the old iPhone/iPad in order to sell or pass it on so there’s no chance of the new owner using your credentials on the old item, you don’t go stripping everything off a car before you sell it as you make it worthless.
Before Apple/Iphone you had Nokia, i know lots of websites falsely claim Apple was the first with an Appstore. Because the first Appstore was on Nokia/symbian. And most apps where free.
Today if i buy an second hand Iphone, i get an clean start on the appstore despite the previus owner having bought lot of apps previously. How is this diffrent from Tesla's software features in an subscription/appstore buy model?

JhnBssll

Veteran
The main difference is with an iPhone the customer retains ownership of the app if they swap devices. Not true with Tesla, you buy the service and it is downloaded to the car. When you replace the car you pay again and they remove it from the original car so they can sell it again to its new owner.

The main difference is with an iPhone the customer retains ownership of the app if they swap devices. Not true with Tesla, you buy the service and it is downloaded to the car. When you replace the car you pay again and they remove it from the original car so they can sell it again to its new owner.
That is technically not correct, in both cases it grants you an license to use the app regardless of that you can transfer them to the next phone. If Apple updates his policy not allowing this anymore you would be in the same position as Tesla is rumored to be going to do with selling options twice by activating and deactivating them by software.
It also shows the downsides of vendor lock in, i mean if the software that controls a car was open, the user would have an option but we haven't so Tesla can charge what they want, the same goes for Apple.

DRM

Guru
And if that new owner has any sense they'll demand that the spec of the car is maintained, or it's no sale, you wouldn't sell any other car, after you strip all the bits off it that it was specced with, then flog them to owner No2 again, every time you read car reviews they always say spec your brand new car carefully, in order to keep the resale value as high as possible.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I reckon this is the future. They need to extract as much as they can out of you. If the Tesla fans are willing to pay them more fool them! Or any other manufacturer for that matter.

Top Bottom