Projector?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
This is just a pipe dream but I don't have a telly and am getting fed up watching films and the like on my laptop.

How expensive/cheap/easy/difficult is it to get a projector to show stuff on a wall?

Any advice appreciated thankyou.

<sucks in cheeks> Looked at this a few years ago Longers. The thing is, unless they've improved, you have to pay serious money for an LCD projector that doesn't blur or tear during fast movement i.e action.

Unfortunately I've cleared out the relevant memory banks to make room for some more dust, so I can't remember the details without going and researching it again. The other thing was bulb life was quite variable and the bulbs are expensive. A mate did buy into it and I borrowed his kit. It was at that point I decided to buy an LCD tele.

Now things change rapidly so that could be out of date now but a better option might be a big computer screen to hook up to your laptop?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
You're screwed if the bulb breaks. I've known a couple of people with projectors. It depends really what you want to do with it. I've known people who want them for blu-rays and the way things are set up at the moment they won't be able to do it for several years. If you're happy with DVD and not too picky about pq you'll be fine. It's quite hard finding a wall that it works on properly (get a pull down).

Projectors are generally fairly easy to use. Last time I watched something on it was the sound and the focus that was the hardest bit for the person to set up on their projector. When my mate was thinking of getting one I think he came to the conclusion that for the cost he was better off getting a large LCD instead.

Best off getting a 22 or 24" PC monitor and plugging into that? I mean if you're not even bothered by the higher reses that's not even much money. It is cheaper than getting a tele and also saves the thornier issue of tv licensing gestapo.

jay clock

Massive member
We got one about a month back. mainly for kids to watch films or do Wii with their friends. It is excellent. Yu need to think about how you will play sound, as the sound from laptop speakers will be a bit feeble compared with the massive and very clear picture

Our is an Acer X1160 - about £225 I am told, as is this was Ms JC's obsession not mine (I have 6 bikes to obsess over!)

Mr Pig

One of the things that put me off a projector is the noise they make. If the thing is mounted quite near where you are sitting, and often they are, the cooling fan noise is quite loud.

Another option is a rear projection TV. Sony made these, you get them typically from about 42 inches up to 46 inches and you'll pick up a mint four-year-old one for about £100 !! Down side is that the picture is not quite as sharp as a good CRT and they need cleaned/set up properly. They're quite reliable though and not much on them goes wrong. Even if a service costs you £200 it's still a cheap way to get big TV.

Top Bottom