Proposal to raise dangerous driving sentences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joolsybools

It's definately a step in the right direction. However this phrase worries me...

"The change would not be enforced until after the election. "

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Agreed it will be a step in the right direction - but often they don't give the maximum, still it has to be better than now.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It's what CDCD came in for, maximum sentence ... 14 years. It's been used in a couple of cases I'm aware of and shied away in others or lighter sentences.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
joolsybools said:
What's CDCD?

Causing death by careless driving as opposed to causing death by dangerous driving. There were a lot of cases where people weren't being prosecuted or being given very light ones so that was brought in. Changing dangerous driving makes sense in light of this also. Unfortunately it's not really been seen to do much of late.

Davidc

Guru
Any move in this direction is good, but until we have a fundamental change in attitudes to road use, and to the 'right to drive' attitude there won't be much change in behaviour.

bauldbairn

This story's so sad - 6 months for completely ruining a young girls life!

It's time to change the law.

I know of two guy's from my area who both only got long term driving ban's.
One over-took on a blind corner forcing an OAP off the road, into a field - the OAP later died from a heart attack.
Maybe the drivers not to blame for the heart attack - but I think the incident was a contributing factor.

GrasB

Veteran
A step in the right direction. There are to many people driving like idiots on the road, thing is the law as it stands isn't being really policed. IMHO it's not the officers fault, it's the politics they have dropped in their lap & the fact they're understaffed for the job they have to do. Today at below -5C I had cars overtaking me on blind sharpish corners, thankfully nothing happened but on one occasion an on coming car was rather close to us when I saw round the corner.

bonj2

It's a step in the right direction agreed, but what we really need is a law which allows car drivers with defective headlights to be instantly SHOT
by any other car drivers that spot them.

thomas

the tank engine
bonj2 said:
It's a step in the right direction agreed, but what we really need is a law which allows car drivers with defective headlights to be instantly SHOT
by any other car drivers that spot them.

Any defective bulbs IMO...though, I did have problems with the brake lights of a car I used to drive and wouldn't want to be shot...maybe just those who don't get them fixed ASAP should. As soon as I knew the next journey would always be to halfords.....and it wouldn't take me a month to find out as it was when driving to sixth form so someone would normally be behind me each day.

Top Bottom