Protective equipment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sawyer280769

Seen a few posts about some people having crashes and thankfully most are ok due to wearing helmets etc. I have not crashed but I know one day I may be unlucky. I wear a helmet but was wondering inf there is anything to help/prevent getting bad gravel rash? Is there ny sort of clothing to protect you from bad injuries from sliding down tarmac?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
not crashing generally works reasonably well for me :tongue:

...... but the answer is no, unless you ride in full leathers.

vickster

Legendary Member
I always wear mitts or gloves. When I came off, my hands were bruised but thankfully not scraped and full of grit

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
There are all sorts of body armour for mountain bikers including spinal braces.....they probably make sense for some riders too.
For road cycling, a helmet (some would say optional but I have seen a cyclist killed by a head injury) and a pair of gloves is about it. When my friend collided with me recently both our helmets sustained considerable damage..... so our heads would have come off worse. My leather track mits were chewed up on the palm so they saved me picking bits of gravel out of my hands. My right elbow had numerous grazes despite being protected by a long sleeve jersey (which surprisingly wasn't damaged?) and my legs got chewed up a bit as I was wearing shorts... but importantly my bicycle only sustained a very small chip in the paintwork.. Unlike my friend's handlebars. (and wrist!)
3131_10151198265213530_56213794_n.jpg

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Being comfortable around men with shaved legs wearing lycra. Going out prepared for rain, punchures and world war three. Forgetting to unclip and falling on your arse. Waving like a mad man at anyone in lycra you come across on the public highway, Associating putting lubrication around your genitals with bikes, not intercourse. Using video camera's for condeming the evil motorist, rather than making private videos of you and your partner........... and occassionally getting road rash are all part of what makes you a cyclist, rather than a bike rider imho

Boon 51

Veteran
Being comfortable around men with shaved legs wearing lycra. Going out prepared for rain, punchures and world war three. Forgetting to unclip and falling on your arse. Waving like a mad man at anyone in lycra you come across on the public highway, Associating putting lubrication around your genitals with bikes, not intercourse. Using video camera's for condeming the evil motorist, rather than making private videos of you and your partner........... and occassionally getting road rash are all part of what makes you a cyclist, rather than a bike rider imho

plus being knackered and a sore bottom sometimes...:thumbsup:

I have several private photos videos of myself and my partner and other people, mostly taken in public places as well............ all riding bikes.

Top Bottom