Protein benefit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

HeartAttack said:
Sorry but 6g per 100g is very low if you are looking to use protein as muscle repair and recovery especially following exercise.

I use and have used for the last 2 years a protein supplement drink, I know it costs, but its a lot less that those being sold as cycling recovery drinks, also a lot better for you than plain milk in terms of what it puts back into your system, loads better than eggs as you'd need a fair number of them after a good ride which could see you becoming egg bound, but each to their own and we are all different and want different things from what we do, so what works for me may not be for you, but don't ignore the options.

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders/protein-powders/impact-whey-protein/

Nutritional Information (per 30g): Energy 118.0cal Energy 497.0kJ Protein (dry basis) 24.6g Protein (as-is) 23.6g Fat 2.1g Carbohydrates 1.8g Calcium 150.0mg

I have always used the 1 g Protein per kg of bodyweight rule.

So I aim to eat 87g of protein per day.

After a strenuous session like a hilly 200, I will up it to 3g per kg BW.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I thought beans had loads of suger added?

Don't forget that different sources of protein contain different amino acids. You need them all to be healthy and recover quickly. Also some sources have higher BV (Bioavailability) i.e the ease at which the protein is broken down to its constuent amino acids and absorped by the body.

A healthy diet shouldn't need protein shakes, but should be a mix of different protein sources.However, i don't practice what i preach and go for a shake 30 mins after exercise.

Tollers

lukesdad

Being a chef and not wanting to pay for drinks etc. have come up with a winter protein and carb drink onion and almond soup works brill.now just got to control the wind.;)

I love the chocolate soya protein shakes from Holland and Barrett. I used to drink them after weight lifting but I ended up tucking into them when I wasn't exercising, such was the taste.

I'm aware doing the above is not good to you but it was hard to resist when combined with skimmed milk.

I was told that whey protein is much better, however I personally can't stand the texture.

Top Bottom