Public E-Bike Charging Points

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Pickering Town CIC via grant from North York Moors NP have fitted a free to use E-Bike Charger at Big Bears Bikes.
I can see this being popular with motorhome and camper van users overnighting @ Big Bears Bikes.
Be a nice addition as they already have a bike wash station round the back.
https://x.com/ryedalecycling/status/1769758813735846103?s=20

Anyone know of any more free to use public charging points for E-Bikes ?

Pickering Town CIC via grant from North York Moors NP have fitted a free to use E-Bike Charger at Big Bears Bikes.
I can see this being popular with motorhome and camper van users overnighting @ Big Bears Bikes.
Be a nice addition as they already have a bike wash station round the back.
https://x.com/ryedalecycling/status/1769758813735846103?s=20

Anyone know of any more free to use public charging points for E-Bikes ?

I don't but I was there last week on Wed, this is taken at the Pickering Station on the heritage railway North Yorkshire Moors.

IMG-20240315-091933439-HDR.jpg

a bike wash station round the back.

Wish I'd found that! The Malton<>Pickering ride I did on a European funded route seemed to consist of cow poo and leaves as a surface, very messy!

How does it work

I have had 4 ebikes (one didnt last long!!!) and currently still have 2 of them

and all used different connectors - except for the standard 13A mains plug on the charger.

so what sort of connector is it - or is it just a 13A socket??

Bobario

Veteran
How does it work

and all used different connectors - except for the standard 13A mains plug on the charger.

Good point! Either it's got multiple connectors or it's just a waterproofed 13a socket, which would only be of use to ebike tourists as nobody drags the charger around with them when they are on a ride. I suppose it would be handy if you had planned a long ride with the charge point as a stop off in the middle.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
How does it work

Good question i've done some checking and it turns out it's the 4th charger point. As to how it works Ryedale cycling site say's

Whilst the Chargers have connections for some Bosch & Shimano motors, it is good to travel with your mains adaptor, as the Chargers both have two, three pin plugs outlets that will let any e -bike charge via its mains adaptor.

The district now have four of these e-bike Chargers;

Big Bear Bikes, Pickering

Dalby Forest Cycle Hub, Dalby

North York Moors National Park – Sutton Bank

North York Moors National Park – Danby

A pic of one the others gives a better idea of what the charging unit looks like.
Mike-and-BBB-Staff.jpg

https://getryedalecycling.com/a-new-e-bike-charging-unit-installed-at-big-bear-bikes-pickering/

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Good point! Either it's got multiple connectors or it's just a waterproofed 13a socket, which would only be of use to ebike tourists as nobody drags the charger around with them when they are on a ride. I suppose it would be handy if you had planned a long ride with the charge point as a stop off in the middle.

Having visited Big Bears bikes many times i'm sure they'd be happy to help anyone who got stuck without the right charger.

Given that every ebike I have had takes several hours to charge - hence a reasonable "top up" would be 30-45 minutes at least - then I would also need to carry a good lock and have something sturdy to lock it to

Can;t see one in that shot - is there one??

albion

Guru
The Vindolanda Trust near Once Brewed on Hadrian's Wall has at least 4 3 pin charge points in its solar bike shelter.
It limits you to a 150 watts power draw so about 3 amp charging is about your limit.

And Sustrans has a few Bosch charge points though they do plan to expand compatibility in the next 20 years. (Educated guess)
And Haltwhistle station has had its white flag elephant for quite a few years now. I think the first ever user wins a million.

Last edited:
We have them here at what are called VeloCity ie a secure lock up place for your bike that also offers charging and even have tools that you can use. There‘s one at most mainline train stations here, i use one when on the way to the airport. Then of course your bike is secure, dry and on charge😉 Most bikes here are Bosch based and there‘s often a Bosch charger on offer and then there‘s regular power sockets. I always carry a charger with my bike in case i need it.

Top Bottom