Puncture proof tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never had a puncture with these

Plenty of punctures with Conti Speedkings on my MTB though....thats karma for you :okay:

CXRAndy

Guru
Tubeless is the best of rolling resistance and puncture resistance

You need 75mil of sealant in tyres upto 30mm

Schwalbe Pro Ones, G Ones or (speed) version

Tribansman

Veteran
I'm running Pirelli Cinturatos (32s). Love them. Good balance of puncture resistance, and nice rolling and feel. Way better than Marathon+s for the latter and grip well.

Done 2,000 miles on them so far this year in all weather. 0 punctures. Still look like new too. Expensive but worth it, best tyres I've ridden.

Especially as I'm running them between 45-50 psi.... (due to Carpal Tunnel, any higher on long rides and I really feel the vibrations)

OP
OP
M

Missrizz

Sorry late reply, only just got my bike back out since posting! The tyres are mitas 5cm.
I've decided to take my bike to have them changed to lighter wheels so I get the nice ride I had when I first got the bike!

Thanks for all your help 😊

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I guess you mean tyres not wheels. Never heard of Mitas beore but they appear to a big manufacturer of all kinds of tyres in the Czech Republic.
Before completely giving up on them just pump them up to Max pressure (should be shown on the tyre wall) and see if it makes any difference. You won't get that on a hand pump you really need a track pump.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've used Marathon Plus for years on a commuter and always found them a little bit slow and heavy.

I've got Marathon Mondial on my tourer and they seem good in terms of being faster, they feel like a completely normal touring tyre. I'm not sure what protection they have other than that Schwalbe call it "double defense". How that compares to blue or green guard I've no idea. But they run better.

Smudge

Veteran
If i change tyres i always go Schwalbe tyres that have level 5 PP. Top level 7 PP are too heavy, draggy and hard to fit.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If i change tyres i always go Schwalbe tyres that have level 5 PP. Top level 7 PP are too heavy, draggy and hard to fit.

I do the same. Marathon Greenguard and Delta Cruiser+ are both level 5 protection. I run both types and I'd say Marathon are the better rolling and harder wearing of the two. Not had a visit from the Fairy on either type of tyre in two years. Four visits from the Fairy on non-Schwalbe tyres though....

RobinS

Veteran
and hard to fit.

I am afraid I don't really see where this hard to fit reputation comes from. When I first got a tourer with modern crotched (or hooked) rims I found all the tyres really hard to remove/fit. Then I realised that unlike the old rims on the bikes I grew up with, these modern rims have a deep recess in the bottom of the rim - make sure the part of the bead of the tyre that is on is down in this recess, and all tyres are easy to remove or fit, once you have the knack, including level 7PP Scwalbes. As far as heavy or draggy is concerned, the difference is not really enough to notice on a heavily loaded tourer - but not getting punctures is noticeable.

Domus

Guru
Never had a problem with Durano DD tyres. They are on my winter bike which I also use for Friday Night rides (4 last year) as the bike has dynamo lighting, I had 25mm then swapped over to 28mm. Up to now no visits from you know who.

rivers

How far can I go?
I'm running Pirelli Cinturatos (32s). Love them. Good balance of puncture resistance, and nice rolling and feel. Way better than Marathon+s for the latter and grip well.

Done 2,000 miles on them so far this year in all weather. 0 punctures. Still look like new too. Expensive but worth it, best tyres I've ridden.

Especially as I'm running them between 45-50 psi.... (due to Carpal Tunnel, any higher on long rides and I really feel the vibrations)

I'm running the same on my winter bike. They are lovely tyres for winter riding and commuting.

Top Bottom