Punctures on tubeless tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hi All,

I'd like to 'pick to your brains' if I may ?

A couple of years ago, I got a flat tyre on my Ellis Briggs. It sported tubular tyres - something that I only discovered following the puncture. I subsequently bought a pair of 'normal' wheels & tyres.

Recently, the same thing happened with my Major Nichols. Sadly, I've no experience of fixing a puncture on a tubular tyre - what does one do in the event of a puncture - is a normal repair kit the thing to use ?

I'm not sure whether to buy some 'normal' (with inner tube) wheels or whether I should have a go at putting on a tubular tyre. Thing is, if I fit a tubular tyre and I get a puncture miles from home, what would I do ?

If I were to buy a pair of 'normal' wheels/tyres, I'd have the problem of what to do with two pairs wheels (I've still got the ones from the Ellis Briggs).

Any advice, gratefully received.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you use tubulars (which DO have an innertube) it is essential to carry a spare, pre stretched on a rim and with a coating of tub cement already on it. You can also put some sealant in the tyre which will prevent most normal punctures. Most riders who use tubs send them away for repair, it is a time consuming and fiddley job to unstitch them and patch the tube.

Unless you are racing at a decent level they are simply not worth the hassle, modern clinchers are so close in performance that few non-racers bother.

The sprints you have now (the name for tubular rims) should make a few bob on ebay if they are in good condition.

First you have to take the tyre off and if you can isolate where the puncture is then you need to unstitch that area, expose the inner tube and repair as normal and then re-stitch up the tub.

Then remove most or all of the old glue using a solvent, get a new tin of tub cement and glue the tyre back on - there are video's on YouTube on how to do this.

I'm with Joe - tubs do ride better and in a race will leave your legs fresher near the finish line but otherwise you will be pushed to notice the difference.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
First you have to take the tyre off and if you can isolate where the puncture is then you need to unstitch that area, expose the inner tube and repair as normal and then re-stitch up the tub.

Then remove most or all of the old glue using a solvent, get a new tin of tub cement and glue the tyre back on - there are video's on YouTube on how to do this.

I'm with Joe - tubs do ride better and in a race will leave your legs fresher near the finish line but otherwise you will be pushed to notice the difference.

Cheers for the replies fellas.

The tubs are in good nick - I'll either flog em on Ebay, or take them to the tip.

02GF74

Über Member
Cheers for the replies fellas.

The tubs are in good nick - I'll either flog em on Ebay, or take them to the tip.

wot they say - you can send off to have them repair or repair them as noted above. bear in mind you are likely to puncture them whyen sewing up the case plus you need to be sure you can do a proper ob sewing - last think you want is for the carcass to split when you are zooming along at 40 billion miles per hour!

Top Bottom