Purchased a new Dahon Vitesse.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill

Hello, I got rather tired of my old tourer and cut it up! (more space in our garage now!) What I really wanted was a bike that would last me and have decent gearing like the touring bike had....a 32 tooth bottom gear. Looking around I found the Dahon Vitesse 8 speed folding cycle. I already own a Dahon Speed 7 which my wife now ride's. The bike is painted a lovely black colour, (which is great for touching up scratches) and eight good gears. The joy of a folder is easy transport on trains and coach's/buses and no hassle from company employee's over the size of the bike....I am deaf and cannot hear questions about..."you cannot bring that great hulk on here!". I hope the photo get's through as I have not sent one here before...

Attachments

• folding bike 004.JPG
    folding bike 004.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 140

Kies

Lovely bike .... Keep thinking about a folder into London.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice bike. Have thought about one but can't get over the increased rolling resistance with the smaller wheels. Do you ride ride it configured as in the photo?

Nice bike. Have thought about one but can't get over the increased rolling resistance with the smaller wheels. Do you ride ride it configured as in the photo?

The rolling resistance of smaller wheel is quite often quoted as a concern - but if you have high pressure 100psi ttyres it isn't a problem

Ps enjoy the vitesse, I had a speed 7 in 2001 which I really enjoyed riding

CS

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
That high handlebar, upright bar ends and low seat setup must promote an interesting 'Easy Rider' style of cycling.But as long as it's comfortable for the owner........

OP
OP
Bill

Bill

Hello, Right! I put some washing up liquid under the hand grips of the Vitesse to move them half a inch toward's the middle of the handlebar then fitted bar ends complete with 'Grab-On' for comfort. I need a high handle bar for a 'sit-up-straight as I have joint problems caused by fool motorists knocking me off my Yamaha year's ago...If you look closely you will note the twin seat saddle which I am experimenting with. I have a right sit bone that causes me pain. I must comment on 'rolling resistance as mentioned above. I have never noticed this at all! My Dahon feels just like my 27" and 26" wheeled bikes...I have Raleigh 'Dutch Perfect' cover's fitted inflated to 40 pounds pressure. They are good for normal roads and bridal path's.....I wonder what this 'resistance' is anyway? One get's on a cycle, push off and unless your riding on loose sand there is no resistance....I just roll off down the road!

OP
OP
Bill

Bill

Oh, I see what you mean about the saddle cum handle bar set-up. That was just how the bike ended up after I put all of my bit's on and tried things out to get a good fold. The saddle will be higher as I am six foot tall.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Oh, I see what you mean about the saddle cum handle bar set-up. That was just how the bike ended up after I put all of my bit's on and tried things out to get a good fold. The saddle will be higher as I am six foot tall.

I have found the way mine folds best is to slide the handlebars up as far as possible and seat down low.Only takes a few seconds once you get the hang of it.

Mine has the original tyres,they are fine on tarmac or fairly smooth paths.Had it about a year now and really pleased .Only problem is Mrs Banjo seems to think its hers.

Kies

Hello, I got rather tired of my old tourer and cut it up! (more space in our garage now!) What I really wanted was a bike that would last me and have decent gearing like the touring bike had....a 32 tooth bottom gear. Looking around I found the Dahon Vitesse 8 speed folding cycle. I already own a Dahon Speed 7 which my wife now ride's. The bike is painted a lovely black colour, (which is great for touching up scratches) and eight good gears. The joy of a folder is easy transport on trains and coach's/buses and no hassle from company employee's over the size of the bike....I am deaf and cannot hear questions about..."you cannot bring that great hulk on here!". I hope the photo get's through as I have not sent one here before...

How do you find the dead weight of the bike. A lot of reviews mention the 20" wheels ride better, but not much on how it folds, nor much about taking it on trains/underground

Top Bottom