Pure hydrogen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Look at that. Pure hydrogen that is (one on the left). The other one has pure oxygen in it. I don't know why there is so much less oxygen then hydrogen. I think there should be half as much, but it's less than that. Maybe more of the electrode was not under cover of the jar, or maybe more of the oxygen dissolved in the water. Oxygen does dissolve in water, doesn't it, which is very useful, because fish breathe it.

hydrogen.jpg

Attachments

• hydrogen.jpg
    hydrogen.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 0
????

gbb

Legendary Member
Obvious result really, look at the pure oxygen on the right, it's sent the jar lid all stripey.
Nothing on the pure nitrogen, it's useless.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
There was quite a bit of sludge in the basin and half the anode was eaten away. Maybe that explains why I got so little oxygen. Both the anode and cathode were graphite. I put some caustic soda in the water to speed things up a bit, but I wore plastic gloves. I didn't want to use salt, because that would have produced chlorine 🤢

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Obvious result really, look at the pure oxygen on the right, it's sent the jar lid all stripey.
Nothing on the pure nitrogen, it's useless.

Pure nitrogen is pretty easy to get. All you need is one jam jar, a basin of water, a cork, and a couple of matches. Put the a match in the cork and put the cork in the basin of water. Set the matches alight and put the jam jar over it. The oxygen turns into carbon dioxide, which dissolves in the water. This sucks water into the jar and the gas in the top is nearly all nitrogen. I think I first saw this experiment described in a Ladybird book.

Top Bottom