pyrenese

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ch3

I've almost made it to the south-west corner of France and I would like to attempt a climb to the pyrenese. I definitely want to go to Toulouse, so it has to be somewhere in between. I've also heard good things about Pau and Lourdes. It would be nice to find a way to combine all these.
Any suggestion on specific routes, towns and camp sites, would be really helpful.

Thank you

Georgios

http://blog.ch3.gr/

ASC1951

Guru
Pau is a lovely town. I particularly recommend the Bar Napoleon on the Avenue des Pyrenees, which has a terrace from which you can look across to the mountains. Well, you could in 1969: it may be a supermarket now. From Pau you can head through the Jurancon vineyards for Oloron St Marie, then Tardets, Licq-Atherey, St Engrace, Aramits and over the Col de la Pierre St Martin into Spain; the col has the middle entrance to one of the deepest caves in the world and is why I was there 40 years ago. We always used to camp behind the hotel in Licq, next to the river, which may still be possible.

Lourdes, by contrast, is a dump. 50% of it is faded hotels (more for its size than anywhere else in the world) and the other 50% is shops selling Catholic tat. Leave as soon as possible in the direction of Bareges, then over the Col de Tourmalet and on to as many famous Tour de France climbs as you have the legs for.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Yes, it's unlikely you've heard a good word about Lourdes. Unless it was from some sad catholic believer clutching desperately at straws in the last hope saloon, or much worse, the cynical profiteers who cream huge profits from this ignorance based scam that preys on the fears and desperation of the misfortunate.

Tim

A man after my own heart, but should you ever visit the US, be careful what you say. They are lovely friendly people but many are seriously god fearing people. Can you imagine saying 'Grace'.......in a diner? Very scary. When you come from a society such as ours, their religious views seem quite extreme.

About four years ago I rode my motorbike from Calais down to Barcelona where I met my wife off the plane. After a couple of days we rode north to Andorra and then basically followed to spine of the Pyrenees to the Col d'Aspin and the Col de Tourmallet before dropping down to Argeles-Gazost then heading for the cooler coast. Wonderful riding and we were seriously impressed at some of the old boys in their Lycra pedalling up massively steep mountains.

OP
OP
C

ch3

ASC1951 said:
Pau is a lovely town. I particularly recommend the Bar Napoleon on the Avenue des Pyrenees, which has a terrace from which you can look across to the mountains. Well, you could in 1969: it may be a supermarket now. From Pau you can head through the Jurancon vineyards for Oloron St Marie, then Tardets, Licq-Atherey, St Engrace, Aramits and over the Col de la Pierre St Martin into Spain; the col has the middle entrance to one of the deepest caves in the world and is why I was there 40 years ago. We always used to camp behind the hotel in Licq, next to the river, which may still be possible.

Lourdes, by contrast, is a dump. 50% of it is faded hotels (more for its size than anywhere else in the world) and the other 50% is shops selling Catholic tat. Leave as soon as possible in the direction of Bareges, then over the Col de Tourmalet and on to as many famous Tour de France climbs as you have the legs for.

At Pau at the moment.

I don't think I'll do that route as I don't want to go west again. Instead tomorrow I will attempt to go south to Laruns and then hopefully make it to Col Aubisque and continue east and somehow make my way yo Toulouse.

Unfortunately the weather wasn't very clear today, so no view of the Pyrenees from the Boulevard you mentioned. Very nice neighborhood and the castle though. I bet it should be a very impressing view... but then maybe it's better, as I yet dont know what I am about to face tomorrow.
=]

I'll try to avoid Lourdes indeed.

thanks for the info.

asterix

Comrade Member
At the foot of the Pyrennees, not far from Perpignan, I can recommend Ceret. It's a very pretty little town with plenty of campsites and good facilities.

(I wouldn't disagree about Lourdes except that it's worth going there just to find out! Also the person I was with bought the most extraordinary T-shirt I'm ever likely to see.)

jay clock

Massive member
OK, tell us about the T shirt?

I spent a year in the Pyrenees (in Oloron) and agree it is lovely. Pau has a stunning view. You can't really go wrong with the rides, but agreed 101% about Lourdes. A real dump and eyesore

OP
OP
C

ch3

Ok
I've just came down from Col du Tourmalet and yesterday I did Col D'Aubisque and Du Soulor.
Fantastic! It's a different world up there. Both took me about 2:20 to get on the top, very tough and very freezing on the decent, but really worth doing.

I think I took a good taste of pyrenees and climbing mountains and I am now heading towards Toulouse for the canal du midi.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions!
Life is great!

Brains

Legendary Member
There is a campsite just outside Carcasonne (on the Canal du Midi). Carcasonne is well worth stopping at

Top Bottom