Pyro-Pavlovas and other Christmas period incidents ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The other day we had water dripping through the lounge ceiling thanks to poor bath-edgr sealing allowing shower-water to roll down the walls and under the bath.
No problem, we have an en-suite power-shower ... which bugger me has just developed an intermittant fault necessitating clambering around in the loft to reset in order to take a shower.
This morning while cooking Pavlovas, the oven thermostat seems to have failed incinerating the Pavlovas and filling the kitchen with acrid smoke, I have no idea how a smoke alarm failed to go of, it usually does when I burn toast.

So, within a week, 3 chuffing things to fix I hadn't planned for.
Thank God the oven didn't fail yesterday with the Goose.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Computer, ovrn and Hoover is my equivalent list. Maybe the odd relationship too :-)

Amanda P

Legendary Member
You know those tinned puddings which say on them "never let the pan boil dry"? Well....

It was several years ago now, but, having been away for a few days Mrs Uncle Phil and I came home and boiled one up, as there wasn't much food in the house. It was boxing day. We'd driven a long way and were tired. We both dozed off in the living room, and the pan must have boiled dry.

We were woken up by a teriffic bang from the kitchen. We looked at each other in horror, knowing what had happened.

In the kitchen, we found a fine spray of chocolate pudding coating every surface, including the ceiling. The saucepan was a very funny shape, and would never be the same again. I don't remember if there was any sign of the tin. The gas stove rings were bent out of shape as well. Thank goodness neither of us had gone in at that moment to check that it hadn't boiled dry...

We were up until after midnight scraping chocolate pudding off the ceiling of the rented flat.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Two years running, we boiled the Christmas pudding leftovers dry, on Boxing Day. On Christmas Day, we were more vigilant, but we relaxed on Boxing Day and left it steaming in its plastic pot. Result, plastic pot welded to saucepan....

Last Christmas ended up sanding one of our le cruseut cast iron pots. Mrs m cooked, or rather burned something..then decided to chuck said contents in the bin. However she managed to touch the pan to the bin liner resulting in molten plasticc welding itself to the pan... an hr of scraping and sanding later..and one refurbished pan.

Top Bottom