Q-rotor elliptical chain ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Q-Rotor claim the elliptical chain rings reduce the effects of the dead spot on the crank, at the point this happens your in effect pushing a smaller chain ring. When your pushing through the dead spot you are using the equivalent of a 51 teeth while at its largest point you are pushing the equivalent of 56 teeth.
The logic seems sound and the cool little diagram show below seems to support this.

q_animation.gif

First Looks :- The chain ring looks well made and finished, the teeth of the chain ring features ramps to make shifting nicer, the shape appears a little strange at first, but you get used to it. It is identical in weight to my Shimano chain ring.
Fitting :- The fitting is the same as any other chain ring, other than you have to be fully aware of where the ellipse is respective to your pedal stroke. The ring features small dots on the mounting points which permit you to fine tune how agressive the change is respective to pedal stroke. There is also a learning or transition setting which you are advised to do first of all (basically read the fitting instructions)
Here is a picture of the chain ring on my venge
chainring1998214513.jpg

Living with the chain ring :- I do not experience a different sensation when riding the bike. I do not get the feeling I am pushing a smaller gear at any point. It took me a while to tweak the set up but now im on the sweet spot its great. My Di2 does not experience any issue shifting with this setup either.
My usual route used for testing resulted in being faster. To test I rode the ten mile route seven times on different days, replaced the chain ring with the standard job and repeated.
Although not scientific a faster average time came from the elliptical ring. It could be placebo (who knows) but I feel like I can spin a higher gear when using it. Hill climbing is the only time I believe I can feel the difference, my legs simply do not burn so much.

Downsides :- They are a conversation piece, as with electronic shifting everyone you meet has an opinion about ellipical chain rings, the most vocal are those who have never lived with either. Like electronic shifting, elliptical chain rings do not change the world.. they just make it nicer.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It could be placebo (who knows)
Quite possibly - elliptical chainrings have been around off and on for 100 years, and you'd have thought they would be mainstream by now if there was an easily detectable difference.

Downsides are cost and poorer front shifting (eg Wiggo chucking his chain off in the Tour of Romandie time trial when he tried to change rings).

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I've personally not experienced poorer shifting with an elliptical chainring and the only chain drop i can recall was with a standard ring.
Wiggo's osymetric chain ring in all defence is a lot more extreme than what I run.
Likewise round chainrings have been around for years how do you know this is optimal, just because something has not gone mainstream does not mean it has no value.
Personally im not convinced either camp is right, Im yet to experience a negative from using it though.

Have you personally tried an elliptical chainring?

Top Bottom