QR skewers without the lever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
... like these
328911757_o.jpg

too much faffing about with an allen key? Has anyone had experience of this type?

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Got them on the bob jackson, just need to remember to take the allen key type thing with you in case of punctures. Apart from that fine

rusky

CC Addict
I like the idea, should stop opportune thefts.

The LBS fitted the pentagon ones to my hibrid when I got it & supplied the original QR skewers I just put the 'key' into the seat pouch that holds the repair kit & levers.

I also got a set for my hard tail.

Davidc

Guru
I have them (hex key ones) on both bikes - insuance company requirement.

No problem as I carry the allen keys in the saddle tool kit in case I need to tighten other bits of the bike.

They don't take long to undo, though if I was competing I might worry.

Debian

Davidc said:
I have them (hex key ones) on both bikes - insuance company requirement.

No problem as I carry the allen keys in the saddle tool kit in case I need to tighten other bits of the bike.

Seems a bit OTT.

How could they know whether they were or weren't fitted in the event of a theft?

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
Davidc said:

hmmm, yeah, i guess you + others are right.

i try not to venture out without my toolkit which contains allen keys. if I were to compete, then reason for removing a wheel would be to fix puncture, so the toolkit comes out and overall time in finding the key and undoing/doing up the wheel would be small compared to removing tyre and fixing te flat..... but still all seconds count and i wouldn't be in the position where those lost seconds would make that much difference.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've got some on both bikes so I must admit I don't lock up the wheels any more - I keep the little key/5 sided thing in my puncture repair kit, though I know a friend who keeps their key thing on their key ring.

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
arrggghhh ... those are on ebay, Ti lightwieght skewers but I cannot find them. (should have mad photo linky like I usually do!! )

anyone able to help?

GrasB

Veteran
They work & secure the wheel well but security wise they're useless ime. A £2.99 allen key set & it takes a few seconds to get the wheel off. You'll get more milage from something like a Pinhead skewer set

Top Bottom