Quality of modern frames esp raleigh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philepo

Veteran
Do the modern cromo butted welded frames on mid priced (£2-300) bikes compare to old retro stuff with brazed lugged frames?

I was goin to buy a Raleigh Oakland until about 5 million people on here said bikes costing below 3 million pounds are not worth the bother. (Ok, it might have been 5 people and 300 pounds)

But I do have a KTM Sportivo (never seen another and no google results) which has a nice light brazed lugged stylish frame but need new forks, wheels and gears so I was tempted just to get the new raleigh.

BUT are new raleighs crap chinese made things with raleigh stickers on them??

Thanks for reading.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Lower priced bikes come with lower priced components and also the frame will tend to be heavier.

If buying new I would look at the 500 mark or if your budget is tight then for 200 - 300 I would look second hand for something like a 531 frame.

ASC1951

Guru
philepo said:
I was goin to buy a Raleigh Oakland until about 5 million people on here said bikes costing below 3 million pounds are not worth the bother. (Ok, it might have been 5 people and 300 pounds)

BUT are new raleighs crap chinese made things with raleigh stickers on them?
The Chinese make every grade of bike, from 50kg gas pipe to the best frames you can get; and when I were a lad, Raleigh made some absolute crap down in Nottingham all on their own.

I'm another of those who think that your budget for a decent new bike should be about £500. Below that you will get much better value from a second hand bike but you do need to have some experience of what you are looking at. If you don't, do you know someone who does?

wafflycat

A factor to throw in is what you're using your bike for and security where you'll be keeping it. If security is less than what is desirable, then there's no point in spending several millions on your bike unless you can also afford the armed security guards required. If you are wanting a basic bike for a bit of commuting, a bit of leisure riding, on road, psychle farcility and very light off-road, and you can't afford the armed guards, then why spend a fortune? You can get a halfway decent *basic* bike without having to spend £500+ and without going into the crappy £69.99 pretend bikes from the likes of Asda or Toys 'R'Us, if you see what I mean.

If you are looking at a *basic* Raleigh, the recent purchase for my offspring to use for his university commute is THIS with the extra CC discount, we got it for a sniff over £160. It's not the lightest bike, but neither is it the heaviest. Sensible - no suspension as for that sort of dosh, suspension is cr4p as well as not needed for the sort of cycling being done. Before we purchased it, we looked around various retailers, and compared to say, a H*lf*rds Apollo, it is a better build. The offspring is pleased with it as it does what is required and means he isn't risking using his decent bikes (he has several expensive bikes) at university where the risk of theft is relatively high. He's stuck some basic MTB mudguards on the Raleigh - and it's fine.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Having seen the Raleigh I would be tempted to do up the KTM bike with decent second hand parts for about the same money.

OP
OP
philepo

philepo

Veteran
Thanks for all that info and opinions. I am going to keep the KTM frame for future use and have bought a 'Concept Knightsbridge' hybrid type SH bike for peanuts. The point about security is the crux of the matter. I can't be bothered with worrying about bike thieves so the KTM will be recommisioned eventually.
Cheers.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Decathlon used to do a cheapo cr-mo road bike, now discontinued. Shame, their stuff is actually decent quality and VFM. My Raleigh U6 Pro was a decent buy for £500, but I wouldn't use it as a commuter, I have a Giant Escape Mini 1 for that. (£250 end of line)

Top Bottom