Queries about folding MTBs (26")

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbybutterton

I have my eyes set on the Dahon Jack but I'm curious as to whether or not it will fit once folded, upon the rack you see at the entrance to a bus or if it can be seated beside you. There is no train station here which is a shame, that would solve my troubles.

Also if there are any cheaper yet reliable models by different brands that anyone could suggest then that would be great. I live in a rural area and well really I ought to have a bike ready to face steep hills alike the Dahon Matrix. I'm hoping as there aren't too many hills here, that the Jack will handle it.

What do you think?

JC4LAB

I have a..Brommie and a Dahon Jack and have some experience of bikes on buses.I would say only the Brommie folds small enough to be bus friendly. more or less every time get you on the bus with it..Even then I always use a bromprton cover or a Ikea dimpla bag.

Folded in half the Jack still remains very sizable and wont fit in a bus luggage rack Also the chances of getting it on a bus and keeping it along side you are not good You are probably going to struggleg getting it on arush hour crowded commuter bus with standing passengers Dirting or damaging other peoples bags and clothes is the risk for them and thats why thay are reluctant

,Success in getting it on will always be at the ".Discretion of the driver".Theres no guarentee

Bagging it improves your chances.What you can do with the Jack is make it compact by removing the quick release handle bars, add a folding or removable pedal ,This reduces its size and width considerblably.You can then bag it.. Bus companiies like National etc may have a bike policy..Must be in bag etc At drivers decretion etc...so you can enquire about it beforehand instead of guessing

I find when using larger coaches they shove it in the hold under the bus but only if theres lots of room...

The Jack is a city bike with slick tyres but only 7 gears,If you are fit enough they are good enough for most hills.but they are not the best of gears for longer climbs,,Lovely smooth ride though....Choosing between a brommie and a Dahon jack I d say get both...... ....

Last edited:
Top Bottom