Question on cycling nutrition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrs fry

I'm new to cycling and have to cycle 7 miles home from work every day. I find that after just 10-15 minutes my legs are already giving in. I've started drinking a body fuel lucozade before I set off but I want to know what things I should be eating or drinking before I cycle to give me sufficient energy. And perhaps what I need to refuel with afterwards.

ShinSplint

Hi Mrs Fry,

If its just your legs giving in, rather than your breathing/fitness, its probably just a case of getting used to it.

But if you feel you're lacking energy, porridge is great for slow release energy, bananas are good (try 30 minutes or so before a ride).

SimonC

ShinSplint said:
Hi Mrs Fry,

If its just your legs giving in, rather than your breathing/fitness, its probably just a case of getting used to it.

But if you feel you're lacking energy, porridge is great for slow release energy, bananas are good (try 30 minutes or so before a ride).

+1, wont be anything to do with running out of energy, just your legs not used to cycling. All you can do is keep at it and it will get easier.

gavintc

Guru
I note your other post on beginning the commute. A common failing with newcomers to cycling is to set the saddle too low. Many people believe that the saddle height should allow you to put your feet down when you stop. You need to keep the saddle at a height that the leg is just bent a little bit when the pedal is at the lowest point. A low saddle is very very hard work to cycle with - you might find that resolves some of your problems. Good luck with the commute, if you are managing to do it now, you are commuting in the worst possible conditions - it will only get better and easier.

potsy

Rambler
Yeah sounds like beginners legs to me,could try dropping down a gear so that you're not having to push as much.I do this on mornings when I have no energy.
Good luck don't give up it will get easier:smile:

Crankarm

Guru
Don't push heavy gears. Always pedal in gear that you feel your legs are turning comfortablly not as as slowly as the London Eye turning, neither as quickly as a weather vane in a hurricane. Not too easy and not too hard. As you pedal try and keep your knees in adjacent to the cross bar or if your bike does not have one the middle line of the bike. Whilst cycling like a bandy old git might look good to some it is a very inefficient style to adopt :laugh:. That's why knobs, neds and ninjas on BSOs cycle in such a manner as they know no better and think it looks good AFAIK.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
All the above. The bike set-up mentioned by the ever wise gavintc is a good point for a newbie.
This may help get you more comfortable and efficient:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Other than that, a decent brekkie and reasonable eating during the day should keep you sorted. For only 7 miles each way you shouldn't need sports drinks, much better to have a slow-release breakfast or if time is short say a Banana and drink water en-route. I'd only take energy drink if I was going to do a fast ride over 25 miles, for anything less, it's not really necessary if your general diet is good.

The jelly legs are due to lack of practice and condition for which good advice is already given. In addition I'd add to start-off gently. It takes me a good 10-15 mins gentle riding (just spinning the legs) to warm-up slowly and properly. If I hop on the bike and go full-out I also find my legs turn to jelly after a short time too. I've blown a couple of Time Trials like that by not warming-up properly before the off.

jimboalee

I can calc that trip for you Mrs Fry.

@15 deg C and no wind, 7 miles on a MTB like yours will be approx 500 kCals.

DON'T eat all of this. Eat 125 kCals, or the legendary 'two fingers of KitKat'..;)

It was 5 degs C with a 15 mph headwind right in your teeth today.
Result is an additional 60 kCals to the total. Or 1 boiled sweet.

Ergle

Über Member
I had a similar situation a while back - I'd set off from work, and after about 5 minutes riding come over all dizzy. It usually happened at the same place each day, and worried me a little as it usually happened in a fairly busy section of road. I think the reason was that I'd worked through the afternoon from 12:30 (lunchtime) 'till 5 and the blood sugars may have been a little low.
A couple of biscuits with afternoon tea sorted it as I recall.

Top Bottom