Quick conversion question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robz400

Hi all,

I'm getting a flash new road bike on the cycle to work scheme and thought i'd keep my carrera virtuoso and convert it to a fixed, is this possible?

Only its got a vertical dropout, so how do i get around the chain tensioning issue?

Not possible I'm afraid. Without vertical dropouts it'll have to be a bodge and a fixed wheel is the very last thing that should be shown the bodging stick.

dudi

Yeah, you can get eccentric hubs and eccentric Bottom Brackets... they allow some chain tensioning, but they're not as good as a proper track frame or horizontal drops.

byegad

Legendary Member
Also you can buy half link chains (BMX seem to use them) so you can adjust chain length by 1/2 an inch at a time.

GrahamG

Guru
I'd be looking at the half-link chain and a couple of hours in a friendly bike shop with a few different sprockets/chains to see if you can find that 'perfect gear' for the horizontal dropouts. If that doesn't work then I wouldn't bother converting - the ENO hub or similar bottom bracket would probably pay for a nice old steel frame with change*.

*as long as you are sensible and don't bother with ebay unless for local collection only.

skwerl

robz400 said:
Thanks all,

Has anyone used the ENO hub, is it any good??

yes but expensive.

magic gear may work but once the chain stretches you'll lose the magic and end up with a slack chain

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Wot Mickle and Spandex said.
Isn't there somewhere knocking a Giant fixie out for £225 or so? I'd sell the virtuoso and get one of them!
Bodging a fixie is a really bad idea.

OP
OP
R

robz400

Thanks for the info :smile:

I don't really like the idea of a ss as it seems to have the disadvantages of a fixed without some of the advantages.

I'll have a look for the Giant or a second hand job if necessary

Top Bottom