Quick Q, whats the best free virus etc protection at the moment?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herr-B

Guru
Location
Keelby
True, I run McAfee (through work), but I also run Malwarebytes once a week. What one finds, the other misses! I also run ccleaner and defraggler, amazing how cleaning your drives can improve a scan's time!
 
+ 1 for CCleaner and I also use an overwriter program to destroy any deleted files and prevent them being "read".
 

schocca

Veteran
I'm IT as well - I run MS Security essentials at home - It just works.

Also for machines that are used for Internet banking, I also install Rapport - Its very good at detecting keystroke loggers (and has found a few...). If you bank with Natwest/RBS/LLoyds, they have links for installing this.

Malwarebytes is useful for removing trojans and the like. Additionally, a scan with Trinity Support Kit CD can also identify the rootkits (as it's running from outside the OS). The support kit CD has lots of other useful functions as well, but that's for another post...
 
Top Bottom