Quick question for a tiny tour-ette - Aquitaine/Les Landes and a train - but to where?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mandragora

First of all, apologies for putting this in the 'expedition/touring' section, because it's so titchy I imagine most of you would do a run like this without even thinking about it, but I'm a relative newbie, and will be cycling alone so would appreciate any tips in respect of a day trip I'm thinking of doing when we#'re away camping.

We're off to France tomorrow and will be going to Les Landes. I know the cycle tracks for about 25 miles in the area we stay in (up to Mimizan, down to Leon) but until now I've always done 'out and back' rides and I fancy a change. What I'd like to do is take the train from Morcenx to .... somewhere near Bordeaux/Arcachon and then cycle back to our campsite on the 'Velodyssey' cycle route.
http://www.velodyssey.com/troncons/arcachon-leon
http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/trains_Morcenx_Train_Station_to_Facture_Train_Station_475_319.aspx

My spoken French is good; my navigation skills abysmal, so what I really need is any help that anyone can give me in respect of working out where I need to begin my journey, and the quickest and easiest way to get onto the cycle route. I've done enough of the cycle route to know that between French signage and my navigation skills it's going to be a pretty hit and miss affair unless I've got a clear idea ahead of time of what I'm doing.

Am I right in thinking that I want to head for 'Facture' as my start point?
If I did this, where would I pick up the cycle route from, once at the station?
Does anyone know this area well enough to be able to say if, in doing so I'd end up on busy main roads for any length of time?

Sorry to sound like such an old witterer - I do want do have a go at more challenging things, but I know myself well enough to know that if I don't plan it properly I'll be useless!

@Jimmy Doug @Hill Wimp @yello I've taken the liberty of nicking your names from the brilliant 'cycling France' thread and tagging you as you may have some pointers....:blush:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
@hopless500 and i used google maps on our phones to find the cycle route. You can set it to tell you to turn left and right etc like a Tom Tom but beware its juicy on your battery so take a spare charged battery or a great little charger pack like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...ne+charger&dpPl=1&dpID=41cOP3mFX3L&ref=plSrch

Google maps really was excellent. It kept us on cycle routes only going on main roads if it really had to and it tells you if you have gone wrong.

Other than this i don't know the area you are going well enough im afraid but hope you have a lovely time.

OP
OP
M

Mandragora

Thank you! Though I should also have added 'totally useless techno-wimp' to my pen portrait, and while I'll definitely give the google maps thing a go, I'm not hopeful of success with it, sadly.

andym

Über Member
This may be quicker.

Follow the velodyssey link. Check the 'train station' check box by the map. The nearest station seems to be La teste de Buch. You'll need to find your way across the town.

OP
OP
M

Mandragora

This may be quicker.

Follow the velodyssey link. Check the 'train station' check box by the map. The nearest station seems to be La teste de Buch. You'll need to find your way across the town.
That's brilliant - thanks.

Top Bottom