Quick release skewers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
A tip for when tightening a QR skewer. Never tighten parallel to the seat or chain stay or forks. Doing this leaves very little room to get under the lever to loosen the QR nut. Always leave the qr lever between the stays, or if you are an aero seeker, pointing horizontally.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A tip for when tightening a QR skewer. Never tighten parallel to the seat or chain stay or forks. Doing this leaves very little room to get under the lever to loosen the QR nut. Always leave the qr lever between the stays, or if you are an aero seeker, pointing horizontally.

And never, ever facing forward, in case some passing vegetation pulls it open.

Sharky

Guru
some passing vegetation pulls it open.
I learned that lesson the hard way. Not the skewers though.
I was riding thru a village, in a section which had no pavement, so was riding close to a garden wall. Over hanging were some creepers and as I passed, the creepers caught my handlebars, turning them 90 degrees in an instant. Over the top I went, landing on my back and a bit stunned.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Some people don't realise that is how a quick release works and just spin the lever around like a wing nut until it feels tight.

I came across an oldish couple on hybrids who had done theirs like that, I thought they looked off as we went past them, so waited at the junction to double check my suspicion and re-did them for them.

definitely worth investing in decent skewers, especially if you have QR and disc brakes (albeit a less frequent combo on new bike now). I had an issue with rear wheel slipping underload until I replaced the cheap branded skewers with some decent mavic ones.

OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

Probably 100mm front and 135mm rear being a hybrid.
How on earth do you measure these things?

Other sources I'd read mentioned 135mm too but this is the one that came out of the rear...

20221117_194226.jpg

Looks about 180mm to me. Or maybe a bit less, 160mm, depending on your start & finish points.

Part number stamped on:

20221117_194241.jpg

Been meaning to ask this all week but kept forgetting to get a photo.

Top Bottom